Sign in to follow this  
Coop

how do you work around mulch?

Question

ok, just got my new pressure washer and I am still in the learning process. I started messing with it trying it out on my house, driveway, etc. Well, I was doing the walkway infront of my house and there is mulch on either side of it. I was blowing all the mulch around. And then I would get close to the house and still doing the walk and was blowing mulch and mud all over the house. And it seemed like a catch 22. I would clean the walkway, get mud/mulch on the house. Clean off the house and get the mud/mulch back on the walkway. I was using a 25deg. tip.

any tips/tricks? use a different nozzle? help.

10 answers to this question

You need to buy more nozzles and learn which ones will lower your pressure. The degree of spread has no bearing on the pressure leaving the nozzle. i'm sure someone will post a nozzle chart for you (or a link to one)

Hey Coop - are you going to come over and play with us one day? We'll take you out to one of the new constructions we have next week and you can see what mud really is :)

Celeste

yeah, celeste, I need to get over there. been super busy trying to get this business started, try and keep my current job, even though I am asking off all the time to take care of other things pertaining to this business, lol. what days are you working this week/next week?

http://www.rowlettpressure.com/nozzlechart.htm

An invaluable tool to have in you arsenol is a dual lance wand- you control the pressure from about 300psi to the max of your machine. It's the only one I use for everyday pressure washing.

http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-6302467517443/sustwsiha.html

so if I am reading this chart correctly, I am going to average 3000psi or so, and moving 3.5gal a min. so I would need a 4 degree tip? isn't that going to make a pretty small width to the spray and take longer spraying things?

I am not sure how you got the number 4, but that sounds like the orifice size to me. A tip that reads 2504 is a tip that is a 25degree fan and the orifice size is #4 and down the list 4004, 1504 and so on.

If your machine is 3.5 GPM and 3000PSI, your nozzle "size" not "degree" is 4.0

The nozzle size is reffered to as "oriface size." It is the size of the hole at the tip of the nozzle. To achieve the recommended 3000 psi of your machine you'd need the 4.0 tip at either 0, 15, 25 or 40 degree.

If you want to lower your pressure you can use a tip with a bigger oriface size or just use the dual lance wand. If you like to change tips and read charts, go for the bigger oriface size. If you like to twist a knob to exactly the pressure you need, go for the dual lance.

Here's another example- if you want 1000 psi out of your 3.5 GPM machine, you'd need an #7 oriface size nozzle.

yeah, celeste, I need to get over there. been super busy trying to get this business started, try and keep my current job, even though I am asking off all the time to take care of other things pertaining to this business, lol. what days are you working this week/next week?

Pretty much every day.....sealing if it's dry, new construction/brick if it's not :) Just give us a call!

Celeste

hey craig, does it change pressure by twisting the knob or do you just have the option of having two nozzles instead of one? like with a 25deg tip, can you adjust the pressure from 500 to 3000 with that same tip by twisting the handle? thanks

jason

I run a quick connect on the front of my guns so I can change the lance. Wash the house then the drive then pop the lance off and rinse the house. I run 7 gpm so that may be easier for me than a 4gpm but just get yourself a 10-12gpm nozzel and I think that will do you. Sometime we use a 15gpm for our rinsen down. Just my 2 pennies.