Sign in to follow this  
PLD

help buying a skid

I need to add a 2nd PW pretty quickly and definitely want it to be 5+gal and hot water. As of today, a 2nd cold unit would hold me for awhile but my gut says why spend $1500 for another cold/4gpm when $5k for hot/5gpm will grown with me longer. I have no issues droping the bucks if neccessary, but I'm kind of at that 125% stage. i.e. More than enough for 1man/unit but not enough for 2 consistently. My catch 22 is expanding without overspending vs underbuying now and spending again in 12 months. In either case, a new trailer is on the menu as neither will fit on my 10ft'er unless I ditch the tote tank.

Anyway, I've been looking at/calling about 2nd hand units and need some advice. Any comments you have to offer would be great.

The 1st unit I looked at was unknown brand, looks well used, unknown age. Owner is at least the 2nd owner and is selling because of a failed startup. 18hp vanguard (replacement) motor runs smooth, t2021 pump that shows 4500psi (?!?) on the gauge, 120v hot water boiler gets water hot pretty quickly, K7 fades in nicely, ac generator in skid appears to work as water gets hot. Includes 6x12 single axle trailer, well used Big Guy 24" (or knockoff - no labels) and some hoses, reels, tote tank, etc. Asking $2500 could probably buy it for $2000-2250. Not a spectacular specimen but it would fill the need fast and cheap.

Unit #2 (not yet seen) is an off brand/unfamiliar name skid but locally sold and serviced by a dealer that I do business with regularly. The entire trailer is approx 1 year old (failed startup). 5.5gal/3500psi pump assumed to be a t2021 based on the dealers other offerings. 16/18hp vanguard motor. 525 gallon tank, 350ft of hose with reels. 24" big guy. Tandem axle trailer with ladder racks welded on. Tool box mounted on trailer. Ladders pictured (may or may not be included) Based on the pic, this is a well thought out rig. Seller claims over 11k invested. Asking $7500 firm but I sense willingness to bend. Might be able to get for $7k.

Comments?

My only thought is will this be run full time or as a back up when your primary machine breaks or as an extra on really big jobs? Your return on your investment will depend on hours run per week. Sound like real similar set ups, one being a little smaller than the other. 4500 on the gauge?? Does it zero out when it's shut off? If not, this is evidence of possible past freezing.

Yes, it does zero when off. The gauge is post K7 unloader and shows near zero off trigger. I did not check the tip size, perhaps he was undersizing.

Full time about 50 hrs per week.

This is just Scott talking, and sometimes I do things a little different. For my opinion, I would by the cheap one. Here is why, You are paying around $2k for it. If it goes belly up in 6 mmonths, and needs a new motor, I can buy a 20 HP Honda for around $1200. If the pump poops and dies, I can buy a new pump for around $400. The Generator is $300. Etc, etc, If the machine looks to be okay structurally, a little paint and effort will make it look nearly brand new. All in all, you could have a baiscally brand new unit, with a trailer for under $5k, and you get to run it in its present condition, with a larger tip, until then.

As for the high pressure, since it was a new startup, I'll bet the guy that has it now went to Home Despot to get a tip, because we all know one size fits all.

Scott Stone

This is just Scott talking, and sometimes I do things a little different. For my opinion, I would by the cheap one. Here is why, You are paying around $2k for it. If it goes belly up in 6 mmonths, and needs a new motor, I can buy a 20 HP Honda for around $1200. If the pump poops and dies, I can buy a new pump for around $400. The Generator is $300. Etc, etc, If the machine looks to be okay structurally, a little paint and effort will make it look nearly brand new. All in all, you could have a baiscally brand new unit, with a trailer for under $5k, and you get to run it in its present condition, with a larger tip, until then.

That was my thinking but I went with the more expensive one after negotiating down to $6500. Here's why...

+Like new skid vs well worn skid. i.e.

- repaints, no thermostat or hour meter, many non OEM replaced parts

+tandem axle vs. single axle trailer (see other thread)

- 6x16 vs 6x12

+350ft of HP hose vs 150ft hose.

+Much newer "Big Guy" vs much older look alike (may be BG, no marks)

+ladder rack (w/ 21ft ladder) already installed vs open trailer.

+turbo tip, 3 6ft lances, double tip lance, extenda wand, 2 water brooms, couple of guns, etc. vs. one gun and a few tips.

+large tackle box full of couplers, orings, parts vs. no spare parts

+Steel mounted tool box on trailer vs no box

+525 gallon foot tank vs 275 tote tank (this may actually be a negative)

+miscellaneous 5gal containers, 55gal barrels, chem stirrer

Yep , sounds like you got a good deal. I got a deal like that this past spring. It was $1000 less but it's on a single axle trailer. Came with the same stuff basicly.

Yeah, I need a green tip. Whadda ya mean what size? I told you, a GREEN one. LOL.

The green one doesn't have enough punch.....give me one of those red ones!!!

The green one doesn't have enough punch.....give me one of those red ones!!!

I love red tips and turbo tips. Ditto for Home Depot pressure washers. They get me more calls from DIY'ers than a thousand postcards. I would estimate that 30-40% of my customers have a less than one year old PW in their garage. No better sales tool for me than a tracered driveway and a tired homeowner.

I just did a 7500sq/ft driveway that the homeowner had done themself 12mo ago with a 5.5hp unit. They did not even flinch when I quoted them 10c/sq.ft.