Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Trailer Specs

I will be needing to get a new trailer sometime soon. Currently I have an All American factory trailer and the frame is open, meaning that there is no diamond plate decking or wood. It is made from 2x3 boxed steel and is very durable.

All the trailers I have looked at are made with channel steel or angle iron. And then have a wood or diamond plate deck.

The local dealer here, and an article in Cleaner Times a few months back both are saying that because of the water weight, that the factory trailers sold with wash units are much better and more durable.

So aside from the axle ratings and the brakes, who thinks these heavy duty factory trailers are any better? I need to figure on buying a production trailer or getting a tube framed one made.

You should take a look at who wrote the article. I believe it was someone from Hydrotek, who had an agenda.

That being said, he might have a point. Partof the problem with that type of trailer is that although they have a "clean" look there is no where to put accessories. I do not necessarily like to put stuff in the bed of my truck, so I want a little extra space. Thus, I prefer to have my trailers custom built to my spec's. That way I get what I want and what is most useful to me. It does get really expensive, really quick, (the last trailer cost me $4500 for an open flatbed), but, I get what I want. Plus, I want to pick what kind of machine I put on my trailer.

Scott Stone

One of the trailers I have is a Hydrotek trailer and its well built but like Scott is saying there is no room to store any extra items except for a gas can or two. I to would suggest you buy a trailer that fits your needs unless of course you come across such a good deal that you can't pass it up..like I did with the hydrotek trailer.

I will definetly get a bigger trailer, but am trying to decide if it is worth the extra cost to get the tubed frame. If I did, it would basically be a factory trailer on mega steroids, as I would plan it for all of my equipment.

Like Scott, I do not care much for equipment in the bed of the truck, but have no choice at this time.

Scott, What is the spec you have for your trailers, if you don't mind me asking? I am looking into a deck size of 6.5' X 16' with tandem 6000 lb axles and brakes on both.

Like Scott, we had our trailer made to spec for us. Although considerably less expensive (more to do with region and trailer size than anything else, is my guess) we got exactly what we wanted.

The trailers supplied by some rig builders are not much more than mega duty landscape trailers, certainly not something you couldn't find on your own, thus saving the markup from trailer supplier to P/W supplier.

Also like John and Scott both mention, the compact trailers supplied for some rigs are useless for carrying any of the tools, chems, and supplies you'll need every day.

My vote, for what it is worth, says go to a local trailer shop, have one spec'd out custom and you'll be much happier in the long run...Might be cheaper thn expected too..

I will definetly get a bigger trailer, but am trying to decide if it is worth the extra cost to get the tubed frame. If I did, it would basically be a factory trailer on mega steroids, as I would plan it for all of my equipment.

Like Scott, I do not care much for equipment in the bed of the truck, but have no choice at this time.

Scott, What is the spec you have for your trailers, if you don't mind me asking? I am looking into a deck size of 6.5' X 16' with tandem 6000 lb axles and brakes on both.

The guys that installs my hitches and accessories had a hydrotek trailer/skid in his lot with a for sale sign on it. I asked how much, and he said that he didn't know it was a customers just in for some manner repairs. Then he commented that he wouldn't have it as the axle was undersized for the load and frame was not very well made. I never looked closely at the frame myself, but his look/demeanor was similar to what we would have had on our faces if another contractor seriously asked us what we thought about getting a 5.5hp home depot to runa business with. Based on that, I may buy a hydrotek skid in the future but their trailers and surface cleaners are on my do not buy list.

I typically haul up to 450 gallons of water on my trailer. There is no way around it because of the type of work that I do. The new trailer is 8x16, the bed is probably 6.5, and the axles are specced at 10,400lbs. GVW. It has a drop leg 7k jack on the front. It is expanded metal for the floor, and has all LED lights. It has 8 ply radial tires, and all the other little legal requirements. I also spec'd a Bulldog hitch. Other than that, it is probably like every other trailer. I should have spec'ed a 14 foot trailer.

I also have a 12 foot trailer with pretty much the same spec's. It is Full legal width 102" and also has an expanded metal floor. It is about 5 years old and is like brand new, except it is a little dirty.

Scott Stone.

I would highly recomend the Big Tex 60sp trailer. It is is very well made with tubing in the top rails. The only down fall is they only use 2" pine on the floor and not the pressure treated pine. I'm in the process of replacing the floor on mine now. Their web site is bigtextrailers.com