Sign in to follow this  
Dale

How hot is too hot?

Question

Its been really hot and dry here and was wondering how everyone decides if a surface is too hot to seal/stain.

I was going to use ATO on a small walkway and when I took a surface temp reading it was 129 degrees, and decided against doing it. Luckily its just down the road a bit but still its a return trip and that cuts into the $$ made.

Does everyone just wing it and hope for the best? If so hows the failure rate?

I hate the thought of returning to a job another day that could have easily been done today. Should I leave my meter at home?

13 answers to this question

I don't do much wood, but there's another thread where this topic was addressed to a certain extent. I believe that some will actually wet the deck down slightly just to cool the surface then wait a few minutes, then seal, but you better get a more "wood professional" opinion on that.

Its been really hot and dry here and was wondering how everyone decides if a surface is too hot to seal/stain.

You want to talk about HOT Dale,I've been feeling the heat here in Tx 110 heat index!

I haven't really been having big jobs lately that's going to take all day to complete.So I've been trying to start around 7 a.m.and try to be done for 2 P.M.

When decks are hot the stain does flash some but it will be ok.You might have to use a little more stain to get the deck darker.

What stain are you using Dale?

Do they have a recomended temp for application?

I wouldn't think wetting the deck before you stain it wouldn't be a good idea especially if you are using a oil base.

Lance, I've heard of doing that too, but have never tried it. I wonder how that would work on a larger deck? It would seem that if its dry enough to seal the temp is going back up so you'd have to spray water along side of your staining??

Shane should chime in here.. I can't imagine staing in the hot Texas sun.

My best advise really is to start as early as you can Dale :cool:

Now if you were doing really big decks and you might be there all day staining.You could set up one of those E-Z pop up tents over a section at a time.

Leave it up for a few minutes while the deck cools then stain it just a thought :cool:

It's a pain, but if this is a big problem you might schedule your deck jobs with the afternoon sun in mind. Seal those in the morn, seal north and east facers in the afternoon. On houses, I plan my MO by the sun location, so i am staining out of the sun.

Shane I'm using Cabots ATO as much as possible. Josh at the tech department said the surface temps should top out at about 90. I'm leary about spraying H2O around oil base too.

not worried about using more stain as much as maybe having the coating fail earlier than it should

The tent sounds like a good idea but I wonder if it would work on the long runs you have to do to avoid lapping...or the wind might catch it.

Beth I knoe you're right about starting REALLY early....but me so sleepy sometimes lol.

Jon following the sun is what I do on paintint projects cuz theres always a couple of sides to work on or soffits & fascias, but so many decks always face south here and it really doesn't take long for the temp to build.

Thanks for all the tips .If you can't avoid the sun how many do it anyway? any noticable problems?

Beth I knoe you're right about starting REALLY early....but me so sleepy sometimes lol.

Hey, I don't want to be on a job site before 7 am....7 is early ennough. I need my coffee first...

Beth

p.s. did I mention drink plenty of water in the heat???? (HINT)

I found that covering the deck with a tarp for about 20 minutes will lower the temperature enough to seal with oil. If you do that before you offload all of your stull and get set up, the deck will be ready when you are.