Sign in to follow this  
James

Weather

Question

I have had my worst year for weather. Pop up thunder storms have hit my job area's all the time. I have had to deal with dew every morning this year. This usually is not an issue. It's misting now with a chance for thunder storms for the next five day's.

I'm re-thinking Wood Care for decks it's not worth the frustration and stress associated with taking chances and not winning.

13 answers to this question

Jim,

I know you don't like it, but you can apply SRD up to 21% WMC.

Hope this helps. (not trying to ruffle your feathers, just trying to help)

This is a touchy year weather wise. No doubt.

Beth

James,

It sounds like this may be the time to try one of the new "apply-while-still-wet" stains/sealers. I have been thinking of doing that myself, but I would like to see/hear some long-term results.

Well...you live in WATER-BURY!!..shouldn't be supurised to be buried in water....sorry Jim I couldn't resist.

Just a lame attempt at comic relief. Climate is a *****. Up here I look forward to 6 months of the year scrounging for work spending too much time online or curled into a fetal ball muttering ..."why...why.....why?" Last year was like that up here, we didn't get summer and dry weather till Sept.

Just think about all the projects to be done when the weather turns. The "jump the gun" contractors will quickly be over booked and and quality will be in high demand.

For what it's worth - those who hate acrylic film formers, don't read this! We put Flood Spa n Deck on a deck last year. The base coat, which is an oil, goes on wet (not damp, wet) wood. While the base product is still in a tacky state, the color coat (acrylic) goes on. Thus far, the projects we put this on have showed NO wear, fading, peeling, cracking - nothing. I'm sure when it comes time to strip this, it's going to be the strip project from hell.....we'll report on that one when we try it.

Celeste

We would consider it a semi-transparent...it's definitely not a solid. Look at the picture of our business card in the gallery.....that's the deck with the Spa n Deck on it.

Celeste

We have had 14" of rain in the last 13 days.. At least one day we got over 3" in one hour.

Whole neighborhoods under 10' of water, roads closed, sinkholes in parking lot, everything is just soaking freaking wet...and the weather man says we can be looking at another 1/2" or so every day till sometime next week.. Depends on what the next hurricane is bringing with it..

Deck work is a bit slow for us right now too.... :)

We have been thinking of taking up Ark building

PS..

Dale, Flood S&D is a solid in the form I have seen (brilliant white)..Basically like dipping the wood in a thin layer of plastic..Superb around docks, very durable stuff. You have to back brush it to death, but once done it looks very nice.

Celeste, I think that you would have to pull a second mortgage to afford stripping.. :)

we been using cabot SPF and its been ok, the clear is a pain because you can"t tell if you apply the rigth amount. also you have to use thier conditioner 1st it helps to break the surface tension for the product to penetrate. we have found that many of the customers are going for the golden tan #3852 48 month,its not bad looking its different but nice. we have applied it to dry wood as well as wet wood.

Rich

sdi

Celeste, I think that you would have to pull a second mortgage to afford stripping.. :)

We're going to put some on our already dead deck this weekend (seeing as we don't have to wait for the wood to dry - unlike the 23 decks that are waiting for sealer!!!) then try to strip it next weekend. I figure it will be hardest to strip when it's in its first season. Will keep all updated on the results and products used :)

Celeste

I do mostly hard woods the one day stuff doesn't figure in my plan's for cedar or mahog- just venting- leaving for Kent Ct. The Pop up thunder storm capital ! Mahog and cedar today with a view to die for-------------