Sign in to follow this  
Crownroyal

Shurflo Burn out

Question

Has anyone else had to replace their Shurflo prematurely say 3 months?

Has anyone else noticed that your Shurflo turns on and off alot?

I was talking to the Shurflo people and they told me if I use it for spot spraying I should try to let the pump not prime on and off all day it will cause over heating and premature replacement.

I asked if I use it to pump clorine will it void warranty.....Quote(well we need to have it shipped to our office for some tests before we ship a new one out)

I asked myself how long could that take. Has anyone had problems with returns?

I have gone ahead and added a new tool to my set up ....... A large cloth

folded soaked occasionally and placed on top of the pump and switch to help keep it cooler. I tried a ice bag but no luck. I now have held on to this pump about 8 months and hope for at least 3 more. :)

Just something to talk about.

Dan

6 answers to this question

Has anyone else had to replace their Shurflo prematurely say 3 months?

Has anyone else noticed that your Shurflo turns on and off alot?

I was talking to the Shurflo people and they told me if I use it for spot spraying I should try to let the pump not prime on and off all day it will cause over heating and premature replacement.

I asked if I use it to pump clorine will it void warranty.....Quote(well we need to have it shipped to our office for some tests before we ship a new one out)

I asked myself how long could that take. Has anyone had problems with returns?

I have gone ahead and added a new tool to my set up ....... A large cloth

folded soaked occasionally and placed on top of the pump and switch to help keep it cooler. I tried a ice bag but no luck. I now have held on to this pump about 8 months and hope for at least 3 more. :)

Just something to talk about.

Dan

I have had two die early in the past couple months...the first one because I was cycling it on and off all day (using a small tip) and got overheated. It was maybe 6 months old....the other I only used on 3 or 4 jobs and it just quit. That one I'll be returning to the supplier I purchased it from.

Not for chlorine? My pump is marketed for acids and caustics. And I pump 12% every day with it and rarely rinse out.

If you shurflo is turning on and off when you have the gun closed, you have a leak somewhere. Pressure drops and it cuts on for a few sec. If you are cycling with the gun open, your orifice is to small. Excessive cycling will cause premature failure.

As for excessive use, they do market a shurflow with fins on it for cooling. If you do not have that one, perhaps you could order just the fins or jerry rig one. if that is impossible, get some 1/2" copper and wrap it around the motor like a coil 8-10 times. Run your freshwater through that and it's NEVER overheat. I use that same design for a beer chiller (during brewing) and I can cool 2.5gal at 212^f to 70^f in about 3-5 minutes.

Not for chlorine? My pump is marketed for acids and caustics. And I pump 12% every day with it and rarely rinse out.

Phiip, what kind of pump do you have?

shurflo 2088 3gpm/40psi from Northern tool. $69 IIRC

You have to be careful which pump you buy. The best ones for us to buy are the agricultural ones. They are more meant for chemicals. West Marine also sell Shur-Flo pumps they are a water only pump. Like someone else said, the cycling is from using too small of a tip size or a leak in the line. You can adjust the screw in the bottom of the pressure switch to control it somewhat also.

Here is something you may want to do if your pump just won't turn on. Bypass the pressure switch and see if it comes on. Do not run it like this for more then a couple seconds because when you let go of the trigger the pump keeps pumping and can cause damage. If you bypass the switch and it turns on then you have a faulty pressure switch. I called Shur-Flo and they sent me a new one for free. Takes about 2 minutes to change.