Sign in to follow this  
paulES

House Siding Advice

Question

Hi All,

I just completed stripping and cleaning a multi-level cedar deck of failed behr stain. Now the homeowner wants me to provide an estimate to strip and stain the cedar siding on her house. The house is a combination of cedar siding and limestone. One side of the house is on sloped and rocky ground. Additionally, the side is near her neighbor's house. Any advice on the proper procedure to strip and stain this side of the house is appreciated.

Paul in Austin

8 answers to this question

Hi Paul,

Rod took a close look at the photos, and his feeling is scaffolding on the rocky side. The side with the roof peaks (front) he would handle with folding ladders over the peak so he could get to the boards above the roof peak and still be able to stand, using the ladder rungs (folded over) as steps. He has done this before with success. If HD-80 and EFC-38 both worked on test spots, he suggest taking both and using EFC-38 where ever you can but in areas that look like the stain may be heavier, use HD-80.

Be careful around window frames. You will either need to mask or wet them first.

When you seal everything up, you definately need to mask everything up. You might need to rinse the deck afterwards too....

Beth & Rod

Finally had a chance to strip most of the cedar siding. I will start the staining process when it stops raining. Any suggestions on staining procedure? This is a picture of the second level deck next to the siding.