Sign in to follow this  
tropical wave

Olympic Sealer

Question

13 answers to this question

8 months perhaps. I have a porch swing that's dead at less than a year. And it got 3 coats with a heavy handed sprayer.

Why Olympic? Mom bought the swing and the stain as a gift.

Don't know about the solid colors, but the rest of thier stuff is almost all linseed with some tung tossed in for good measure.. Total crap..unless perhaps you have a sado/masochistic streak in you and you relish the thought of completely stripping and staining your deck once a year or more.

I don't know about 8 years, but I have been using Olympic Maximum Honey Gold almost exclusively for about 3 years and the decks/fences I did then still look pretty good. I would say that 2 years is about right, though longer for fences.

One coat, very easy to work with. No lap marks and sprays nice.

First of all, the 8 year thing is going to be a vertical claim, I am willing to bet. Personally I want to read the lable. I suspect this it not just another oil. Lots of folks are moving to acrylics. Hope I am wrong....

Secondly, it's not the linseed oil that is the issue. When you pop the pail of a product containing linseed oil, you need to think about the total product. There are product out there that are well formulated that contain linseed oil, and there are products out there that contain linseed oil that are not well formulated. I suppose it is easier to just avoid all products with linseed oil and make a blanket and statement about the product due to the oil itself.

Biocides, mildewcides, and antifungals are very important in a product. Not all products with linseed oil will turn uniformly black and fail before your very eyes. Better not to judge a sealer by one or two oils... I'm not saying I'm a linseed oil fan, that's not the case at all. It's not my favorite. I don't have one. I like products, not single ingredients. But I am saying, that it's better to look at the total product and base your decision on that than it is to make statements based upon one ingredient. Cabot's for example (just one example), must be doing something right, after all they have been making sealers since...oh...1877!

Test the products you want to use.

OK off my soapbox... :cup: coffee time.

Beth

saw the ad again tonight, they were claiming the 8 years as the actor was brushing it on the deck floor..(clever advertising) and it looked like a solid...

I think its in a red can and is called maximum or something.... I have to run to the store tomorrow, maybe if I remember I'll check the label..

I gotta call B.S. too..........

you cant get 8 years if you put the damn bark back on the wood !!!!! :)

This is one of those resin based products much like CWF in my humble opinion.

I just applied it to a customer/friends deck w/dismal results. I never use anything but an oil base, but deviated from my normal procedure [this time]. The customer wanted it (cedar color). The deck is at least 10 yrs old. I stripped the little left of old finish (appeared to be an old Sikkens oil based product) with F18. This is a massive 800 SF affair.

Anyways. Sprayed the Maximum on. It puddled big time and had I to do a lot of backbrushing/rolling. They stress this highly anyways on the application directions. High humidity conditions. Stuff took forever to dry. Might have got hit w/an evening rain too. I see a lot of fault with me on maybe rushing this job a bit.

Result: Splogyness here and there. Shiny areas around heartwood that didn't absorb product. Dark areas/lighter areas. Customer pissed - dosen't like it.

Now I'm faced with stripping this crap and reapplying. I also thought maybe of etching the surface with sodium percabonate and a hot water bath then applying a 2nd coat.

I've tried to contact PPG/Olympic on some direction here - no joy.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

paul