Sign in to follow this  
JeffW

shur-flo pumps?

Question

I have been in this business for ten years now,and I have to tell you that my experience with these little rinkey-dink shur-flo pumps has been less than good.I bought one about seven years ago and thought it was worthless.But I am new to this site and all I see on here is info and talk about these pumps,so I thought maybe I'm missing something here, so I went and bought one today ,but it was the same as before, completley worthless.I took it back immediately.These things do not come close to my commpressed air sprayer.I took an air commpressor tank and rigged it up like a typical pump sprayer.It takes a little welding and hydrostatic testing but believe me when it's done it's a lot better than those worthless little pulsating pumps that everyone is raving on.It's stationary and you get good steady pressure with it.It holds ten gallons of cleaner.Those little shur-flo pumps just slop the cleaner on,the commpressed air makes it bubble and cling to the surface.You guys should do yourselves a favor and try this.I just had to give my opinion.

7 answers to this question

Jeff,

Are you using the sprayer to apply housewash chems? Most here that use shur-flo's use them for low pressure roof cleaning,fleetwashing or deck restoration.Set up properly they doa great job for the tasks I mentioned.

For housewashes and concrete the majority apply chems with an Xjet and some downstream from somewhere in their system(at the machine or before the hose reel).

I have been in this business for ten years now,and I have to tell you that my experience with these little rinkey-dink shur-flo pumps has been less than good.I bought one about seven years ago and thought it was worthless.But I am new to this site and all I see on here is info and talk about these pumps,so I thought maybe I'm missing something here, so I went and bought one today ,but it was the same as before, completley worthless.I took it back immediately.These things do not come close to my commpressed air sprayer.I took an air commpressor tank and rigged it up like a typical pump sprayer.It takes a little welding and hydrostatic testing but believe me when it's done it's a lot better than those worthless little pulsating pumps that everyone is raving on.It's stationary and you get good steady pressure with it.It holds ten gallons of cleaner.Those little shur-flo pumps just slop the cleaner on,the commpressed air makes it bubble and cling to the surface.You guys should do yourselves a favor and try this.I just had to give my opinion.

My shurflo is trailer mounted and plumbed to a 100g chem tank for cleaning roofs. I don't think your 10g is going to cut it for roof.

My experience with these pumps on a roof is pulsating.I like a constant flow of fluid,makes for more even coverage and a lot less frustation.Not looking for an arguement just had to state my opinion.The psi is the same at the nozzle as it is in the rest of the system and you can keep it "charged" with a compressor to keep a steady psi rate if you have a lot to spray.But yes, I do wash houses with this system.But everyone has there own method.Was actually wondering if anyone else used a compressed air sprayer.Thanks for responding.

ccpc,Ten gallons is usually enough for a standard rancher roof.If you use more than that it is probably running off.Even if I do refill it is still less frustrating than that pulsating crap and keeping a battery charged.

ccpc,Ten gallons is usually enough for a standard rancher roof.If you use more than that it is probably running off.Even if I do refill it is still less frustrating than that pulsating crap and keeping a battery charged.

Not really, I cleaned a roof today, about 2,700 sq ft, I went through about 30g of mix. Run off was almost non existant, but I did have to recoat some areas. As for pulsating, if its plumbed right there shouldn't be any pulsating.

ccpc,you're probably correct about being plumbed properly,but I am not a greenhorn at this roof cleaning stuff.It could be that you just naturally use more than I do.I'll tell you this though I use hth pool chem.1 lb. granular calcium hypochlorite to (5) gal. water.Very effective.One application on even a bad roof.Get everything nice and wet and start at about 6:00 a.m. before the sun comes up so the product can work without being "eaten" by the sun.Thanks for replying!

I should also mention that where I live usually only one side of the roof needs cleaned,that could also explain the difference in amount of product used.