Sign in to follow this  
JeffW

electricity?

Question

Does anyone else ever worry about wortking around electricity?I don't want to say I worry aabout it but it is always in the back of my mind when I get around it.Still standing after ten years,that alone makes me a little more comfortable.I'm not afraid of it but I do respect it.Doing flood clean-up in a basement is a great place to worry.Thanks for any replies.

5 answers to this question

Does anyone else ever worry about wortking around electricity?I don't want to say I worry aabout it but it is always in the back of my mind when I get around it.Still standing after ten years,that alone makes me a little more comfortable.I'm not afraid of it but I do respect it.Doing flood clean-up in a basement is a great place to worry.Thanks for any replies.

Yes, when that fear subsides is when you should start to worry.

Philip

I haven't worked for 2 weeks now because I'm doing a ton of work on my house so I've gotten zapped about 3 times so far.......FUN!!, but when I'm working it's constantly on my mind. When I do a house wash I'll shoot the area( if an old house ) with the x-jet around the external electric connection to the house then back off real fast hoping to minimise to possibility of electrocution, but you never know. Another prob is those darn thunderstorms.

Ive had a couple issues with electricity while doing this. had a faulty gfi exterior outlet go up in flames....(about made a mess in my pants, as nodody was home to shut down the power) and also got a bit worried doing a wood job where the main support post was about 24 feet up and the main electrical service entered the house at the top of this 6x6 post.....needless to say stripping then sealing wayyyyyyy up there kind of blew...... I have exp working with electricity, but the moment you get careless and dont respect it, is when it gets ya.....

when working around power lines etc, decide what your going to do, start doing it, then pause, look, and make sure youre doing it safely.....its like teaching kids to cross the street: look left, right, the left again before proceeding