Sign in to follow this  
tropical wave

wood defender

Question

for anyone that has used or knows about wood defender, is it a one coat application ? If it is, would there be any reason to (or not to) apply a second coat...????

just curious how it works compared to ready Seal, as it is (allegedly) very similar to the way its made (so Ive heard) If it is similar, why is RS 2 coats and wood defender one?

6 answers to this question

Anything that has a drying agent or hardener in it has to be a wet on wet application. Or a one coat application. If it dries the second coat will lie on top of the first. Wood Defender has silicone in it. I have not use it.

Ready Seal has no hardener in it. Put on as much as the wood can take.

The silicone in Wood Defender is seriously and hugely negligible and is not in the product for anything more than performing as a wetting agent. We have used both Ready Seal and Wood Defender and they go on just alike - very comparable products with the exception of price and the option of a fence stain. We have been able to apply a second coat of WD in some places the day after the original staining with no problems. I know if you call Brent or Todd at Standard Paints, they can answer any questions or concerns that you may have.

Celeste

Thanks guys....Ive not used the WD either Jim ,I was wondering if they are both penetrating oil (same) and they apply the same, why wouldnt the wood drink up the sealer like it does with RS? I read an old post which stated that the silly-cone was a trace amount, but it is still in there....right? I guess what Im trying to ask is, if they're so similiar, no laps, no drips blah, blah, blah...the WD should be able to get 2 coats without any problems ..right? unless it doesn't need it, of course....

Celeste, I sent a couple emails to standard awhile back and asked a couple questions regarding the WD after researching their website.... I never heard back.....and it wasnt like I was asking for free stuff or anything, just had questions about the product that weren't explained on the site.... oh well

thanks again

Mike,

I've used WD for a few projects and it is very similar to Ready Seal. Application is very forgiving, and wet on wet, or wet on dry works about the same. I do two coats on all horizontals and one coat for verticals. Fence stain works great on fences, one coat seems to be fine.

thanks Reed....whats your "opinion" of WD vs RS? (not trying to put you on the spot here, just fishing in the pond of professionals..... :) ) PM or Email....

Mike, thanks for responding, so you found that a second coat on top of a dry 1st coat worked fine...?? thats what I was looking to hear...!! :cool: :cool: