Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

QC gun to wand or not?

Question

Do you typically quick connect gun to wand or do most have seperate guns with threaded connects for each wand / lance? I primarily use a 36" wand with M5 and a 6' lance. I set up qc's and it's pretty wobbly now compared to a threaded connection at the gun. I can see this adding additional wear and torque on the gun.

Thoughts?

19 answers to this question

Neil

For wood restoration there is no other way to go, however it sounds like you might be set up for house washing. Don't worry about how wobbly it is. The pressure from a pressure washer is created at the tip. What that means is simply that when you are spraying, your wand/gun connection will be rigid.

The reason I like them so much for wood restoration is that you can put a tip directly into the gun. Now when you are up on a ladder you do not have to worry about all that wand getting in your way. Also when doing the detail work of a hand rail your motion is proportionally decreased by the length of the wand.

Simply put, you can work much faster and maximize your profitability! You may in fact wear out your gun a little bit faster but you will have more than made up for it on time!

Best of Luck

Russell

I use QC's all over the place !!! every wand, hose, X-Jet hose, shurflo, wood wands, chem sprayers, You name it, if it connects to anything, it has a QC :)

Ditto. And definitely put a QC directly into the gun. There are times when no lance is wonderful. Decks and vinyl fencing come to mind.

And QC both ends of all your lances as well. I keep a 3ft, 3ft x20deg, 6ft, and 12ft on truck. Stacked I can get 24ft of (wiggly) lance w/o an extenda wand. I most often use these lances: none, 3, 6, 3+6.

Actually, it's the q/c's & plugs that wear out, not the guns themselves. Even with stainless steel, I've found that the plug actually mushrooms on the bottom ridge of the fitting, where it plugs into the q/c. Every time the trigger is pulled the ridge of the plug slams into the q/c couple causing the metal distortion, It can be filed somewhat, but it's easier to change the couplings.

I have to change the couplings about twice a year, at less than $4 a pop. Well worth the versatility they add.

Do you typically quick connect gun to wand

Yes :cup: :sunshine:

pretty wobbly now compared to a threaded connection at the gun

Agree with Russ. :groovy2:

Even with stainless steel, I've found that the plug actually mushrooms on the bottom ridge of the fitting, where it plugs into the q/c.

Tony's right, and Rod keeps a rat tail file onthe truck to deal with the lip that builds up over time. We replace ours a couple times a year as well.

Beth :dancing:

Rod keeps a rat tail file onthe truck to deal with the lip that builds up over time.

I've found that a pair of channel locks will wring that lip off in about 2 seconds w/o damaging the rest of the plug. IMHO, SS connections are less wobbly than steel because the barred doesn't corrode and shrink in size.

Got to have QC!!!!! ain't no other way!!!!!! Use the a plier to get that ridge off like was said. Stack them for longer wiggly wand, yes sir!!!! Works good to rinse with, just pop it off and rinse. You do have to keep a supply of O-Rings on hand tho too, they go bad and leak and that is one thing I can't stand!!!!!!

Thanks to all who replied. I can now see a whole list of applications using just gun and nozzle. I'm having success getting my local 15% supplier to start stocking SS couplings along with their brass.

Tomorrow morning I have a 2-story with full basement and sloped lot. This is about 38ft to the peak, so the QC's on the 3' and 6' plus me and the M5 should get me to the top. Here in the mountains it's rare I get a flat lot and most have finished basements. I may still look into Steve R's new Magnum wand. I haven't heard of anyone on here that uses one regularly. I'll be at the upcoming NC/SC/GA roundtable that Celeste is doing and looking forward to meeting, learning, and getting hands on with the stuff there.

TGIF

/neil

Ditto the O-rings! Nothing worse than a leaker!

Be careful with the M5 at the end of a long wand. Keep in mind flex and torque. On the flex side, you don't want it to spring back and slap the house (or a window Oops) when you release the trigger (pressure).

On the torque side just remember that the wand is a LEVER so the force of the M5 is multiplied exponentially along the length of the wand, into your arms and eventually to your lower back. One bad twist and pop and you will be off your feet for a couple days.

Once you get used to the set up it should be both handy and safe!

Best of Luck

Russell Cissell

Actually, I have a flat file with two coarseness, 1 side is fine the other side is rough for faster material removal.

The rat tail file I use in the grove to get rid of the impact ridges from the bearings.

These are a resourceful set of tools to have if you do not have another replacement plug on hand or till you can get some more ordered.

I carry a 50 pack of 1/4 O'rings and 50 pack of 3/8 O'rings and a pick for removal and replacement of them when needed.

I always carry 2 crescent wrenches and a set of vice grips and channel locks for changing qc fittings and not to forget the teflon tape!

Rod~

I use the twist connects on the end of the wand. A whole lot less o-ring changing.

I have a QC screwed into a twist connect for real close stuff.

The twist connects last a lot longer with fewer problems for me.

I have QCs everywhere else though.

He also keeps channel locks, and the sand paper on hand. He also keeps pick and a set of o-rings. Spare QC's and such are a good idea too. A spare part on hand, can save a load of headache.

Beth

One thing I've come to realize is that all the spare parts in the world don't do a bit of good if left in my garage.

I have a Rubbermade snap top 18 gallon bin in my trailer, that I keep assorted parts, and a toolbox full of every tool I will need to remove/replace the part.

Each of my vans has a fishing tackle box in it with the assorted bins for different QD's, o rings and an amazing amount of other spare parts and tips. We check the stock in them every week along with the vehicle inventory and maintenance stuff. We also make sure every van is fully fueled, stocked and cleaned every Friday before paychecks are given out.