Sign in to follow this  
Degraffreed

Staining

Question

Well I was just wondering, since it has rained here about every afternoon for the last 2-3 month if there is a stain that is on the market that would allow you to stain decks and fences even if it is a possbility of afternoon showers?

I am using Wooddefender deck stain But there has to be a least 24-48 hours of no rain. Needless to say if I get a chance for the deck to dry out for 2-3 days and when it appears that I will get a chance to stain it their is a possibility of it raining after the application. This make it hard for me to schedule customer again to complete this deck and fence.

I feel like I should be working as a metorologist.

Any Ideas. Could I stain the deck and the put a plastic tarp over the deck just incase it rains after I stain it or will this cause the stain not to dry properly.

What do the vets do in a case like this.

12 answers to this question

Degraffreed, Ive never tried the wood tux wet, but I think Ill have to order some up and check it out (the results Ive seen on here are fantastic).....the beauty of it is that the wood doesnt even need to have that 2-4 days of drying out after cleaning.....boy would that make scheduling so much easier without trying to work around rain or even the "chance" of showers.

Ive had it rain on Ready Seal 30 minutes after application with no ill effects, but the wood has to be dry (12%) or less prior to sealing.....

We have been using Wood Tux for three years now. Two of these years were with the original formula and then this year with the Wet formula. The first release of Wood Tux Wet was thick, and needed thinning if you were not brushing it on. Extreme Solutions just released the thinner version (same viscosity as the original Wood Tux which is very thin) of Wood Tux Wet, which will make spraying a breeze.

Maintenance has been 2 years on the horizontals, and has been a breeze. Just washed a house where we did the deck two years ago, and the client is waiting one more season on the deck for maintenance - so it will be three years (full sun deck) before they get the horizontals done. Deck was done with Wood Tux Western Cedar, and still looks great.

Hope this helps.

Beth

Beth

I have to admit, the new formula seems pretty cool..... if Im understanding the websites correctly, does the Wood Tux only come in the honey gold color and you need to add the color that is desired...??? if so, is it a PITA? and are the color additives more $, or does it come with the tint?

Im on no sleep, so does this make any sense? :)

Wood-Tux WET can be applied to wood immediately after a rain. It can also be applied immediately after washing as long as there is no standing water on the wood. The higher the moisture content the longer you will wait between application and back brushing. In the case of extremely wet wood you will spray Wood-Tux on and then allow it to stand on the surface for at least one minute before back brushing the excess.

This is to allow the product to penetrate the saturated surface to where it can react with the wood itself.

Once applied Wood-Tux will take a lite rain within 15 min of back brushing. It will take a heavy rain within the first hour.

Hey Mike~

When you call in your order tell them you want One-Deck-of-A-Deal and along with your Wood-Tux WET you will get your choice of one free HD-80 or EFC-38 and one Citralic Brightener/Neutralizer.

That is everything you need to restore 750 - 1000 square feet of wood

Russell, do you have literature on this Wood Tux?

Are you saying, this product can be put onto fences and decks even if the wood is wet and have a moisture content of say 25-30% this is the reading of a saturated deck? What makes this Tux able to be applied without the fear of a "afternoon shower"?

Do you know if Woodtux is a oil penetrating stain or a film forming?

Much of what you hear and read is not entirely accurate. It is not always one or the other. Wood-Tux WET is a highly developed formula and is not like any other stain.

The best way to describe it would be to say that Wood-Tux WET is a deep penetrating oil based system. What sets Wood-Tux apart from an oil based stain is how it was formulated. Wood-Tux Wet is a system, even though it is quite simple to apply it uses advanced technology to treat wood like no other product.

Where most oils (and oil based stains) float on water, Wood-Tux WET will dive through it to deliver rich transoxide pigment and advanced biocides deep into the wood. Once applied our proprietary drier package locks up the surface without forming a thick film that can crack or peel. When applied to severely wet wood you will watch as water is literally forced out of the wood during the curing process.

Wood-Tux WET was not developed to be sold in retail stores. If it was it would have a price tag in excess of $200.00 per pail. Wood-Tux wet was created by Extreme Solutions, Inc. with the specific needs of the contractor in mind. Giving you the ability to work more days out of every restoration season, Wood-Tux WET is going to be the key to maximizing your profitability!

Degraffreed

Give me a call on Monday and I can get you something to read.

As far as performance goes. . .

I am saying that if you place a piece of wood under water over night you can pull it out, shake off the excess water and stain it with Wood-Tux WET.

I am saying that if you get to a job site and it is raining, as soon as it stops you can stain the deck with Wood-Tux WET.

I am saying that if you want to wash a fence and then turn around and stain it, Wood-Tux WET is the product you are looking for. No need to make a 2nd trip back after it dries.

Wood-Tux WET was designed to work on wet or dry wood. The reason it can take a rain so soon after application is because it bonds with the wood and then locks the resin, pigments and biocides into place. I wouldn't recommend applying Wood-Tux while it is actually raining but there is no threat from an afternoon shower.

does the Wood Tux only come in the honey gold color and you need to add the color that is desired...??? if so, is it a PITA? and are the color additives more $, or does it come with the tint? :)

Russell, what about the colors ??

Thanks Russ, Very clear now. I wish I would have known about this product two months ago... I could have had a few deck and fences completed by know.

Will be calling Pete or Tracy today.