Sign in to follow this  
dfox99

Things I Leaned on my First Deck and Need to Learn

Question

I did my first strip/brighten and seal this week on a small deck. It is probably around 16x20 with a small landing. It took me over 20 hours in which I seriously underestimated my price. I used HD 80 at 8 oz/gallon.

Here is where I suspect some of my problems are from:

First, I didn't do a test spot so I didn't know (and still don't) know what I was dealing with...latex or what? Some of the trim and rails had at least 3 coats of white or gray on them. Stripping took all of the first day and some of the next. I used too much pressure out of desparation in a couple of spots and had to sand the next day. In fact, I had to use more pressure for the whole deck than I wanted.

Second, sunny day, pump up sprayer on entire area having to run back and mix up several 5 gallon batches. I suspect the mix did not stay wet enough. I am going to mix 20 gallons at 8oz/gal in the future so I don't have to fire up the burner, and all that running around. Plus, I am going to use my deckster to apply. I didn't get it out this time because I thought the deck was too small. Maybe I should do less area at a time?

So, can anyone else point out something that I didn't learn but need to before I give up wood restoration and stick to house washing???

Also, is there any adjuvant for helping HD 80 cling to vertical surfaces? That was the hardest!

Thanks.

Doug

3 answers to this question

I understand that Extreme Solutions was coming out with a thickener for HD-80, for exactly what you are asking. Beth should carry it if it's available. If she doesn't drop in here, you can call her at (877) 426-9274.

Sounds like you learned some KEY elements of deck restoration work:

- Test for stripping as latex is more difficult to remove and therefore your charges should corrolate with that effort (however, your charges should not reflect inexperience - unless it lowers your price, nor should it reflect lack of organization).

- Have lot a patience - most people run out of patience when it comes to allowing appropriate dwell time for chemicals (that applies to other chemicals and not just strippers).

- You were correct when you said you should adjust and work in smaller sections at a time. The larger the area you are trying to work, the more difficult to keep track of dwell time and also afford the proper attention to each area.

- Should have a checklist for each job on what type of chemicals you need to have and should also carry back-ups with you. Try to carry more than what you need as "Murphy" looms over all our heads (Whatever can go wrong, will!)

- The one thing that will help you the most is what you take away from each job in learnings and how you apply your learnings on each subsequent job.

- Deck restoration is one of the more if not most difficult trades to learn (in the arena of P/W), as there are many types of wood, each one is aged and finished differently; so many different stains have been applied and in so many different methods.

Hang in there, don't give up! After all, if it was that easy to do, the customers would not need the contractor! Would they?

The diversity and potential income it can provide for your business, outweighs the problems you are facing on the uphill side of your learning curve. Before long you'll look back and say this is not so difficult after all.

Keep working at it!

Yes, there is a thickener. Hang Time is available in 1 gallon and 5 gallon containers. It's great for vertical surfaces.

Dwell time it is the single most important thing in learning how to use HD-80. It's good to test an area and then at least you'll have an idea of how long it may take. Also keeping product moist with more product is key. If it dries you have to reactivate it.

Let me know if we can offer you any other help, and remember, we're always here for field support.

Beth

I don't know a thing about pressure washing nor deck restoration-I'm in the janitorial and floor care business (stripping and waxing, etc....)-I just wanted to tell you. Hey its your first time and I think its great that you are even out there trying this new field of work. I know some people who talk--at least you are out there doing it. Keep trying--it will come. Practice makes perfect--just make sure you have business insurance while you are practicing--lol.

Good luck to you.