Sign in to follow this  
KC Deck

Stripping Cabot's Solid

Question

Question?

I just got a bid that has Cabot's Solid, dark blue on the deck already. The owner wants to use Cabot's again, but this time with a beige color to match his trim.

I know (from what I've read) getting all of the cabot's off will be a chore, so I ask you this question. If I prime over the old color, will the new color bleed thru? Or should I try to strip it all off first?

I have never dealt with stripping Cabots before and was just curious.

Thanks.

23 answers to this question

Solid color stains are similar in nature to paint. Speaking specifically from an appearance standpoint. . . .

If you try to cover dark blue with beige paint you will have to prime it to a color that is lighter than beige or apply a lot of the beige color. You would have to speak directly to Cabot's to determine what type of primer would work best with this stain.

Personally would push them to strip it and go with a system that is better suited for deck surfaces.

Best of Luck!

I would suggest stripping the deck with HD-80, neutralize with Citralic, then I would suggest using the Cabot's solid stain if they still wish to go with a solid. Get Cabot's Problem Solver primer, prime it, then apply the Cabot's solid deck stain over top. I would be leary of applying a semi-transparent - only because you might have residual blue pigment left.

Beth

I have stripped Cabot and it comes off well with HD-80 at about 6-7oz/gal.

You can also offer the customer 2 options...

1-strip it and then prime and stain

2-wash it then prime and stain

The options offer some price breaks there but #2 is the least offensive to the wood.

Also, keep in mind that this is w/o me seeing the previous job and whether or not there has been any peeling or leveling problems with the prior coat.

Take it into consideration as you have probably seen the deck.

Rod~

I have had similar results as Rod. I used the HD at 8 oz per gallon to strip Cabot's solid.. 1800 square foot cedar deck. Took two full days but there was no residue. On the same note, I have heard that blue solid is a bit of a PIA.

The Cabot's with teflon will not come off. That is more like porch paint.

KC I had a similar situation this summer with a solid cabots that we had to remove, it was extremely tough. The solid will not come out as well as a semi. You will have to take your time in preperation using hd-80 or f-18 boost. The deck we did it on was a 1200 square foot and just took forever. I can say that after the job was done it really did not like theway the deck came out. Mind you the semi we put on it was not our choice. It was the homeowners. With something like of this nature I try to reccommend a solid to the customer it really makes it easier on your back.

I have questions in regards to this thread. I have not used HD-80 or F-18 so I can not speak of their results. Cabot solids are recommended to be primed with the oil-base problem solver followed by two coats of acrylic finish coats. Are you all saying that these products will allow you to strip these coats off enough to go back to a translucent or semi-tranparent stain?

I doubt it, Everett. The key for my successful strip was poor preparation on homeowner part. It was not primed and doubtfully was two coats. It was also down for three years with no maintenance and was worn clear in some spots. The areas that gave me the most problems and required a second strip were where the customer had runs and drips and painted over them. I did have another deck where a solid was applied over another solid. H.O was unsure of products used and while it was a tough strip, we were able to apply a semi in both cases with excellent results.

Im going to do a test strip today.....Hopefully it will come out ok.

Oh and by the way, the owner wants another solid to put back on the deck.

Will striping, priming, then adding a solid color keep the old color out? If I cant get all of the old color off?

Everett,

Not if a primer was used to begin with, I didnt get that impression in this thread that it was a factor, but I did suggest a test patch to determine effectiveness.

Btw, what would you do Everett? Curious since you have had a bit more experience in cabot products...curious in maryland~:

Rod~

I never have a problem offering a two-tone in these situations. In any event, I am more concerned with proper adhesion on the horizontal surfaces. If it doesn't strip I break out the drum sander. If you set the nails or screws first the sanding doesn't take long at all. I do not rely on putting the primer right over the old on the horizontals.

post-22-137772146499_thumb.jpg

post-22-137772146503_thumb.jpg

Hey Everett, what is your preferred method of countersinking nails?

I used to crawl around the deck with a nail punch and a hammer (about killed myself and my hands in the process :taz: you get the picture...that was me after whacking something other than the nail punch lol )

Now, I use a nail gun with an empty magazine. counter sinks them to whatever depth you set it.

Rod~

Rod,

I am the same as you. We still use punches for small jobs. I just started using the nail gun, it works! I picked that up on another BB. The deck above was that "picnic table red" solid. Actually it seemed to have the semi first and then it was gone over with a solid. The rails are primed and two top coats. The decking was stripped twice and sanded. This is a nice alternative though when the solid is a bugger to remove.

Ev,

We just did a similar job. I'll put up some pics...

Had a deck that had paint on it, and after washing, we primed it and did a solid stain in two tone. Also installed new lattice skirting around the deck. Lemme dig up the pics... it's done in Terra Cotta and Sahara Sand... customer chose the colors to match their brick house, and also the placement of the colors....

:lgbugeyes

Beth

Anyone using the 1600 series solid? I always uded the Primer/2 coats acrylic with good results. I just did my first deck using the 1600...that is some sticky stuff. ..at least I think so.

Nice job guys - color is questionable but your application looks great ;) Our experience with the Cabot's solid was that it is worse than paint to apply, sticky, yes - we definitely add in a PITA factor when having to put it down.

Celeste

well, stripping was a waste of time. I stripped the decking and the top rails, but did not do the spindles or other verticals. I talked to the Cabot's rep, and he suggested cleaning entire deck, priming over old stain, and then applying at least two coats of the new solid over the existing. Customer was happy with the explanation, and stated he just wanted a good final outcome. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'll post pics when Im done.