Sign in to follow this  
Clean Solutions

What would you consider acceptable as far as hours on a used machine?

Hi all =o)>

Gotta a new guy question for you?

Guess the title says it all??

I can go looking at used cars and know what NOT to buy based on mileage to a degree...

What about our power washers?

I'm sure that there are other variables here, but is there a ball park figure I could go by?

What's high, what's average?

Do people disconnect the hour meter like they can the odometer on a car?

Thanks for your help!

I personally wouldn't buy one with more than 500 hrs on it, but it's a question that's relative to an individual's philosphy on purchasing used equipment/vehicles. I'm sure there are many that would find more/less hours acceptable.

The problem with assessing a machine based on hours can be flawed. A machine with meticulous performed maintenance and has always been run off of a large reserve tank could have a thousand hours and still be a perfect machine to last another five years.

I'll give you an example.. Guy buys a machine, puts 300 hours on it, no reserve tank (portable cold 4 gpm belt drive) The area he works doesn't have municipal water, it is well supplied. One out of three jobs he cavitates that pump over and over. He never changes the pump or engine oil unrtil he is about to sell it. In comes a buyer and sees 300 hours and jumps on the deal. Two months later his pump is shot. The problems are worse if the machine is hot water.

Any machine I were to purchase would be have to be torn apart if it had anything over 200 hours.

Hours on the motor and hours on the pump are two different things. My rig (16 hp Briggs, 12 volt hot, 4000/4 gpm direct drive, 200 gal tank) has over 3000 hours on it, with one pump rebuild at about 1500 hours. Its all in the maintenance.

I guess I have a different philosophy. That is normal. For a used machine it is all about price. I bought a used Hotsy last week. I paid $800 for it. It needed a fuel pump and a pressure switch. I have repaired the fuel pump, and have bypassed, for testing purposes only, the pressure switch to make sure that is all that was needed. So far I am pleased with my purchase. Here is the wayt I figure it.

To replace the motor is ~$1300 for a 20 horse Honda. A pump, if I do not buy a Hawk pump, is arounf $400. All of the Burner parts, except the coil can be replaced for around $200, and the battery is abother $75. IF, and that is a big IF, I have to replace everything, I will be out a total of around $2700 for a name brand machine. That is my opinion is a good deal. More than likely, I will only have $1000 into a good used Hotsy, by just replacing the necessities. So, what to look for? first is price. Second look at additional equipment. I have paid $3000 for a complete trailer rig, with hose reels, tank, and the whole shooting match. The machine had 175 hours on it. It has alos constantly broken down, and had to be "reengineered" for reliability. IT has still been a reasonable deal, even though I had to pay to have the coil repalced at 450 hours. You just need to shop and keep your ear to the ground, and not jump at every little thing that comes along.

Scott Stone

John... I agree completely... maintenance is key...

Do you keep records as well in case you sell down the road?

Thanks for the numbers Scott... makes it a little less intimidating when you break it down like that...

I can do a little wrenching with instructions, but have a lot to learn about these machines =o)>

Do most machines have hour meters on them? Only Hot or??

I asked this guy about hours, but he said it didn't have a meter?

He didn't even hazard a guess in his reply to my email....

He says a good job came along and this has gotta go?

Good job?? Does he mean working for someone else?? Poor guy =o)>

Just said very good shape and serviced regularly...

Looks OK on the surface... what do you think?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/95948938.html

Thanks again all for your patience with the newbie =o)>