Sign in to follow this  
jason c.

Wicked Spider!!!

Question

this badboy was sitting next to the water spigot at one of my jobs yesterday.

i dont know what kind it is, but it's safe to say if i found it crawling on me there would be a piercing shriek, followed by me passing out.

post-1181-137772146822_thumb.jpg

35 answers to this question

Spiders dont really bother me but a few months ago I was walking under a tree at my neighbors house and had a some web strings wrap around my face. I wiped it off and didn't think anything about it really. A half hour later I was sitting on my couch and my roommate walked up behind me and told me not to move. he grabbed a newspaper and swatted this 2 inch huge hairy brown spider off the back of my head onto the floor and stepped on it. The friggin thing was on me for over a half hour and I didn't realize it. The thing that really gets to me though is when I described the spider to people in my area (I'm still figuring out the creepy crawlies in North Carolina) they called it a brown wolf spider and I got varying reports about if it was poisonous or not. Still don't know for sure but am glad I didn't figure it out the hard way.

This should comfort those of us who fear these little buggers...

http://www.natureofcreation.org/articles/spiders.htm

Can anyone identify this one? I thought it was cool looking. Of coures, it was not crawling on me either... Not a very good photo tho...took it a couple years back. Yellow with purple as I recall. Very Halloween-esque...

Beth

We call those "weavers". At any given time we will have 3-4 of them in our yard - very fasinating to watch until they build the web 2 inches from your front door. We used the back door for 3 days until he packed up and moved further into the yard :)

Celeste

Jason-

I am not to terribly fond of spiders so this post sort of stuck with me. I was at my parents' house over the holidays and did some digging. What I found confirmed my suspicions, that I had run into a similar little nasty once before myself.

Forgive the picture quality. . .that is a digital picture of an old print

It was taken over 20 years ago and yes, that handsome looking kid is yours truly.

post-18-137772150765_thumb.jpg

Celeste....remember the Habu's in Okinawa? When I was on mainland Japan in Atsugi..there was another kind of snake all were afraid of....for the life of me I cannot remember the name.....

Anyway, the banana spiders on "The rock" were incredible...how about the poisonous conch shells that scared the daylights out of everyone...it seems there were so many scary and dangerous things there...except I still loved it.

I was there from 82-85 yourself? My father was USMC and we were also stationed in Cherry Pt., NC...another great place.

Take care.

Uuuuucccckkkkgggghhhhh, Habu snake....yes I remember - also never saw one either thank goodness. The shells - I collected them, no problem :) The sea snakes were something else! We were in Oki from mid-89 to early 92.

Celeste

Sorry to steal this thread..not often I meet a fellow rock inhabitor.

Ever go see the habu mongoose fights? We went on a field trip with my little brothers school....yes grade school..I still can't believe they let those kids watch that. Pssst, the mongoose almost always wins!