Sign in to follow this  
jason c.

Wicked Spider!!!

Question

this badboy was sitting next to the water spigot at one of my jobs yesterday.

i dont know what kind it is, but it's safe to say if i found it crawling on me there would be a piercing shriek, followed by me passing out.

post-1181-137772146822_thumb.jpg

35 answers to this question

That reminds of this pic I snagged of a lizard that was hanging on the side of my house the other day. It looks like any other lizard that you would see all over FL except this one has an "airplane" tail.....Go figure!

post-280-137772146841_thumb.jpg

Jason,

Most in the south refer to those as Banana Spiders,they buld huge elaborate webs.

Nothing like walking into one at 5AM(wrapping around your face and head) on the way to a favorite deer hunting spot.Can you imagine seeing a 295 pound man run through the woods with bow and climbing stand on his back,screaming like a girl.The only source of light a mini mag light?It ain't pretty nor funny when you have a huge fear of spiders.You can also be assured that every deer in the woods left the minute the heard the girly scream.

this badboy was sitting next to the water spigot at one of my jobs yesterday.

i dont know what kind it is, but it's safe to say if i found it crawling on me there would be a piercing shriek, followed by me passing out.

That's a small one. Bananna spiders get pretty big, and as Scott pointed out, there's nothing like walking into a huge bananna spider web...Especially when you're walking a 2 story roof with low overhanging branches...

We got banana spiders in Okinawa that were 6-10 inches long - You'd never believe that 10 Marines could exit a van in less than 2 seconds flat when a pretty big one crawled across the ceiling as we were loading up for a dive day :) Funniest thing I had seen in decades!

Celeste

A little more detailed shot. I had one hanging around outside my window one morning. This one measured around 4" from tip to tip of the legs (front to back).

post-334-137772146845_thumb.jpg

Scott... You are killing me dude...ROFLMAO.. Don't feel bad tho.. The webs don't bother me much on the way in, just when I feel 'em crawing down my neck some time afterward.. Usually right about the time I'm starting to lock in at the top of the tree..

Just for kicks.. here's a shot of a pair of creepy crawly things that our boys in Iraq live with..

post-102-137772146862_thumb.jpg

are they also called jumping spiders? right there with ya scott!!! a buddy of mine lives in a house with an uncomfortable amount of spiders. everytime i go over there, i bust through his door looking like i'm tripping on acid or something. pinching near my forearms and face yelling, "is he on me!!" i've walked from his garage to my truck with a ladder, spent about 30 secs to tie it down, walked back using the same path and in that minute or so, a spider has managed to **** out 4 or 5 strands, 6'5" in the air for me to inhale. i think thats probably the closest i'll ever get to death before i die. by the way, if any of ya'll pack a lighter with a decent flame, i've found they are pretty good at getting the strands off. be carefull not to cinge the hair though! ohh yeah, this spider seemed to be on the backside of the web, so its his/her belly in the pic...never seen that before

sorry for the long post... scott, hunting story reminded me of one as well...my uncle and my cousin took my younger cousin (15yrs) on his first hunting trip last year. of course this is the trip that safety is usually stressed the most. well my uncle took the kid with him and my cousin went to his stand and they agreed to meet back up there where they seperated at a certain time. my uncle said they were walking back to the meeting spot when my cousin jumps out from a tree right in front of them. "RAAAHHHH!!!" my uncle tripped over his own feet jumping back...the kid, after letting out a good scream, picked up a stick and wacked my cousin in the back of the head while he was helping my uncle back to his feet!...lmao

safety first

They will raise a nice sized welt on you.Poisonous only if you are allergic,most bite victims(very rarely they bite) experience pain in the bite area, the welt and pain go away in a few days.

Just one damn big bug I don't want on me....lol.

Cujo,

A buddy in Iraq emailed me that picture a while back.Had to change my underwear after I opened the attachment....lol.Camel spiders and they are huge,thank God there are 2 in the pic,if it were 1 big spider there isn't enough Raid in the world.......:lgbounces

A little more detailed shot. I had one hanging around outside my window one morning. This one measured around 4" from tip to tip of the legs (front to back).

I have killed 4 of those darn spiders on my house in the last week alone! I can't stand spiders. I emptied a whole can of Raid to kill them. They looked just like the picture that Ryan posted.

Mike

about 13 years ago I spent the most miserable week of my life in Cuba, ran into the biggest spider Ive ever seen....no lie, this thing was about the size of a manhole cover......thought it was gonna carry me away if I didnt haul a$$ outta the way.....in the food chain, I couldnt think of anything that would eat that, except maybe the cubans, and I think it ate the cubans as well.. :)

Yours is a writing spider. Very common around these parts (N.Ga.). Wanna see something neat? Approach them with your finger or a stick. They will use their body weight to swing the entire web back and forth in an attempt to scare you off. Pic link: http://greennature.com/gallery/spider-pictures/insect33

Interesting critter you've got there. Perhaps even a cross breed between a banana and writing spider. Banana spiders are not common this far north (unlike Scott's turf where they are common). Also, a banana spider typically has somewhat evenly spaced legs while writing spiders are "paired". But, I've never seen a writing spider that had brown/orange like that on it.

In the wilds of central Nebraska, about this time of year, two beautiful phenomena coexist: The blooming of the state flower, goldenrod, and the ripening of the enormous dove-hunter-terrifying-yellow-garden spiders. These two events occur in tandem and most often in the same fields. Unfortunately for me, all of my favorite natural dove blinds are in places where native ditch-weed grows next to goldenrod. Once a year, in the early morning half light, over-eager to participate in the opening of wing-shooting seasons, I will tool clear out into the middle of a goldenrod field, omly to be reminded of my folly in one of two equally awful ways.

1. I will feel a web as it simultaneously sticks to every exposed inch of my (suddenly) sweaty face. This is often accompanied by the ever-uncomfortable sensation that something besides myself is in this web. And the something always seems to be rather, HEAVY.

2. I will catch motion in my peripheral vision. Usually just a flash of yellow moving horizontally across my chest. Immediate investigation is normally accompanied by screaming and wild self-flagellation.

In either of these instances, the culprit is always a writing spider whose abdomen has been swollen to roughly the size of half a Titleist or more. I must admit that few things really frighten me, but these cases often involve me nearly pitting in my shants. Just thought I'd share.

In the wilds of central Nebraska, about this time of year, two beautiful phenomena coexist: The blooming of the state flower, goldenrod, and the ripening of the enormous dove-hunter-terrifying-yellow-garden spiders. These two events occur in tandem and most often in the same fields. Unfortunately for me, all of my favorite natural dove blinds are in places where native ditch-weed grows next to goldenrod. Once a year, in the early morning half light, over-eager to participate in the opening of wing-shooting seasons, I will tool clear out into the middle of a goldenrod field, omly to be reminded of my folly in one of two equally awful ways.

1. I will feel a web as it simultaneously sticks to every exposed inch of my (suddenly) sweaty face. This is often accompanied by the ever-uncomfortable sensation that something besides myself is in this web. And the something always seems to be rather, HEAVY.

2. I will catch motion in my peripheral vision. Usually just a flash of yellow moving horizontally across my chest. Immediate investigation is normally accompanied by screaming and wild self-flagellation.

In either of these instances, the culprit is always a writing spider whose abdomen has been swollen to roughly the size of half a Titleist or more. I must admit that few things really frighten me, but these cases often involve me nearly pitting in my shants. Just thought I'd share.

I feel your pain my brother.

Spiders/critters don't bother me, but I too must admit that the feel of a web wrapping your head combined with the unknown location of a rather large spider initiates an instant involuntary response that resembles a man engulfed in some manner of invisible flames. :)

It's somewhat nutty if you think about it. If I see a black widow or other "baddie" on me, I brush them off gently and let them carry on in peace. But let a large, but otherwise harmless, spider latch onto my face and panic sets in.

It's somewhat nutty if you think about it. If I see a black widow or other "baddie" on me, I brush them off gently and let them carry on in peace. But let a large, but otherwise harmless, spider latch onto my face and panic sets in.

I was having this exact same thought the other day...though my irrational fear is of bees/wasps/hornets. I'm not crazy about spiders, but if you want to see me putting out invisible flames on myself, let a few paper wasps start flying around me.

I'll sit there and calmly pet a huge dog, an animal that could literally kill me in a matter of seconds, but let a relatively harmless bug fly anywhere near me, and I act as if I'm about to die. I've almost run OFF of roofs more than once because of this nutty reaction.

This should comfort those of us who fear these little buggers...

http://www.natureofcreation.org/articles/spiders.htm

Can anyone identify this one? I thought it was cool looking. Of coures, it was not crawling on me either... Not a very good photo tho...took it a couple years back. Yellow with purple as I recall. Very Halloween-esque...

Beth

post-1-137772146927_thumb.jpg

Thanks Beth....... now I can't even put my feet on the floor.

And to learn that these things are on me, just creeps me out.

Running to the shower!!!!!!