Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What does Wood Tux look like after two years?

Question

This deck was washed two years ago, and sealed with Wood Tux, in the Western Cedar color. This was applied in a year that was VERY wet, 5 months of almost rain.

Notice, it is NOT overgrown with mildew. Notice also, the amount of color still present.

This deck was filthy. Has two years of foot and paw traffic, mud, pollen, etc. on it. Today we gave it a maintenance wash. ( photo on the left is before the wash - 2 years of muck, but you can see howmuch pigment is left from the finish two years ago) I'll put up a wet pic too so you can see how much pigment is left even after a wash at the two year mark. (photo on the right is after washing, wood still wet)

The customer was home, she stood outside and watched the whole afternoon, and was thrilled silly about how well it had held up, and how great the wash looked.

We also want to say to Paul who visited with us today, we were glad to have you along and to help you out, anytime.

Beth

post-1-137772146882_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772146885_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

Beth, when you say "Maintenace Coat", Are you spraying the deck again with Western Cedar, just as if it was the first coat going on the deck? Also do you charge the customer again for the stain? If you can answer that here.

This deck was washed two years ago, and sealed with Wood Tux, in the Western Cedar color. This was applied in a year that we VERY wet, 5 months of almost rain.

Notice, it is NOT overgrown with mildew. Notice also, the amount of color still present. The customer was home, she stood outside and watched the whole afternoon, and was thrilled silly about how well it had held up, and how great the wash looked.

Today we gave it a maintenance wash. I'll put up a wet pic too so you can see how much pigment is left even after a wash at the two year mark.

We also want to say to Paul who visited with us today, we were glad to have you along and to help you out, anytime.

Beth

Wow! Pictures look great! What this just a wash??? or did you reapply WT?

Thanks,

Mike

Beth or Rod

I was looking at your pictures, especially the picture where the steps have been washed. If I understand correctly, this is yellow pine.

I know this is just a picture, but there does appear to be plenty of pigment still in the wood. For a wood as light as yellow pine, it is presenting with a bit of red and looks more like a red cedar. My question is did you think about or consider applying the Warm Honey Gold color this time?

I think it would add a warm depth to the finish. We've talked before about how with semi transparent finishes do not have to "match" colors because the substrate itself has such an influence on the final color of the finish.

I understand that you chose the Western Cedar color because the wood was so light originally. Now it's already got the coloration down in the wood. If you came upon wood that was this beautiful rich color naturally would you still choose a Western Cedar color or would you use a lighter color like Warm Honey Gold?

We may apply the gold on top this time, since the new cedar fence she has would match better that way. This deck is very light in color when dry and unprotected. I would have to dig, but I have a photo somewhere of it dry prior to having wood tux applied for the first time. There is plenty of pigment left. No doubt there.

Beth

Here's one of the same deck right after it was sealed two years ago. I'll look for the dry shot too...

Beth

p.s. here's a link to a warm honey gold deck that just had two year maintenance as well. After it was done, the owner called to get on the books for 2 years from now. http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4316

post-1-137772146887_thumb.jpg

Wanted to emphasize...

Photo on the left, was prior to the wash, after the dog has trampled on it, and mud tracked up and down onto it, and the owners just had a bunch of lower level landscaping done. It was a filthy deck. Photo on right, was after the wash of the two year old sealer.

Beth

Beth or Rod-

I agree that the picture on the left looks nasty! Most product advertisements talk about weather and UV damage, but lets face it, dirt and grime and mud and spills are what make a deck look bad. Thankfully with wood siding you don't have to worry about most of those things.

When I look at the picture on the right, after you've cleaned the filth off and you can see the finish I like the way that looks. For yellow pine it looks beautiful. Now I realize that what I am seeing is still wet from being washed, but I am going to turn "home owner" on you and ask you something.

I like the way the wood looks when it's wet. Can you make it look like that?

What I am asking is, on THAT deck, that pine deck, do you think there is enough pigment to provide adequate UV protection? Would you feel good about applying a clear? Do you think you would require the additional pigment in the warm honey gold?

Yes!

Back to contractor mode[][][][]>>>>

If you are wondering about applying a lighter color to it for instance with WHG there will be a different look to it, somewhat more orange than cedar.

I will be going over it with WC again to refurbish the top coat. It will be just as rich as it is when wet.

So far, I have been very pleased with the maintenance washes and recoats and as Russ has mentioned, the recoat goes farther per sqft but still acts like the original application. I just apply it lighter than a primary application and back pad it to ensure even distribution.

Rod~

Absolutely. Once we apply the maintenance coat that's what it will look like, maybe a little richer.

Funny thing is, that conversation did happen. I was outside speaking to her the whole time the wash was happening. She's a neat lady, very enjoyable conversation.

As for the clear, I don't want to apply a clear here. We prefer to replenish the pigment. If we were to apply the Western Cedar, we could cut that with some clear. If we apply the Warm Honey Gold, not necessary to do it. Personally, I always want to make sure there is some new pigment introduced during maintenance.

Beth

I think I confused you! I was trying to be funny, but it was lost in transmission.

What I am asking is simply this. Was there enough pigment in THAT deck that you could have done the maintenance with a clear?

We've had mixed 2 and 3 year test results. On darker wood usually a clear would be fine. Because it is not 100% we recommend using Warm Honey Gold to be safe. We did not test on yellow pine so I was very interested. They don't use yellow pine for decks around here.

I supposed you could do maintenance with a clear on it, but we don't do that. :whoops:

We don't get too many SYP decks here either, most are PT lumber. When we began working on this deck 2 years ago, the owner said the builder was pretty proud of himself for not using PT lumber...hmmm....we have seen plenty of pine rails, where the builder painted them, and the wood rotted because of it, but that's a whole other story...it's odd to see pine rails and PT floor. I'm sure the builder saved money when they built it that way, but it sure cost the homeowner once it was rotting from being painted too wet.

:lgbonk:

Beth