Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Painted Brick

Question

Brick chimney, 24 feet tall, total of 130 sq ft and painted with latex. Here is my plan of attack. I have had pretty good luck in the past with latex and hot water, so of course I will try that first. As a back up, I have many paint strippers that should tear that latex apart, and a soda blaster.

I am charging him a very pretty penny, as I have to deal with a 24' mess, water recovery is part of the job.

Of course the chimney is surrounded by painted items that are not to be stripped, so extra caution is in order.

Other than the items above, any suggestions on what I may want to bring as an alternative back up plan?

8 answers to this question

Make sure your insurance is paid up in case you do something on those things that you arent suppose to. Im not in any way saying that you will its just that accidents happen and stripper runs down hill. Good luck with this.:D

Originally posted by One Tough Pressure

Of course the chimney is surrounded by painted items that are not to be stripped, so extra caution is in order.

Morgan,

I have that part covered, I was only looking for back up ideas. My insurance is current and I carry more than many others in my area. However, I will not be needing that, as I covered that in my quote above.

I would have plenty of plastic sheathing available to cover any thing you don't want to get stripper on. Maybe even a Rake or broom along with a blower to Pick up any loose Paint that landed on the ground. Plenty of HD-80 to strip the paint. Last but not least.....where protective Clothing aong with a resperator and especially Goggles when dealing with Strippers.

Good Luck

I would stay away from strippers! To hard to control. This is a picture of a job that we did last week. 3000 psi, 4.5 rotary tip, 200+ degree water. Ran two wands.

Swept up the chips. If they want complete removal (they repainted building) we would have use baking soda on what was left on the wall.

Dave Olson

i was looking at your picture where you said you was running "3000 psi, 4.5 rotary tip, 200+ degree water" and where your operator is standing....what can't figure is why he has not got a wet suit on...whenever i work that close to a wall i have to mask and suit up otherwise i get soaked....just wondering :) .

cheers paul.

John,

Have you been reading my packing list, exceot for the HD-80, all else is there. I have so many chemicals to use up before I buy new ones, that I have not ordered any HD-80 just yet. The strippers that I plan to use for this, if needed are paste type, to control where it goes.

Dave,

I do have a roto tip and soda, but have not used either in this type of work. It is red clay brick, so I was planning on low pressure. They do not plan on repainting, however I have to wonder why the previous owner painted the brick in the first place.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hello Paul,

As you said "Everything is hard before it comes Easy?! Both of these fellow have worked for me for over 12 years. You just need to be where the water isn't! :) :)

Dave Olson