Sign in to follow this  
cmdaniel

Need to clean and seal 3 Decks???

I have three decks aproximatley 300sq/ft They are two years old and never been touched. I have used byer Premium on a fence at the old house and it held up wonderfully for all three years I lived there. Though with 3 decks I don't want to be doing this to often. I am no sure weather I want to do this my self or have it done.. What (tranparent) product would be recomended? I like the look of natural wood are a little tint. Two of the decks are screened. All help is appreciated.

Welcome to The Grime Scene. If you have any digital photos of your decks, you are welcome to post them. Properly cleaning and sealing 3 decks as a novice is a very large undertaking. If you are set on doing tis yourself, I would suggest you not use the Behr product, but consider instead one of the products that the Pro's here discuss. THere are a few that are very popular. If you are willing to consider hiring a pro, you might also want to place a thread in the Job Leads forum, located directly beneath this one. We have many members, worldwide at this point and you may find someone in your area.

Welcome to the forums, we hope they help you.

Beth

We are moving in two weeks the following link takes you to the virtual touur of the porches.

http://www.circlepix.com/site/tour/fl_skin.htm?id=277152&page=virtual&room=bkyd.jpg&low=0&skin=193&flViewer=

I am trying to determine if this is to much to handle or if I do need a pro?

Thank you for the advice Beth n Rod.

I will be reading up on ready seal and wood tux.

Clifford

That's alot of area to cover, and it appears to be elevated as well. Personally, I would hire a pro for this size job if you have never done something like this before. It's a huge undertaking. Doing the outside of the rails alone will be a challenge. I hope those are removable screens. If they are your wash and sealing will be easier.

By the way, nice deck and porches! Enjoy your home! :sunshine:

Beth

Cliff, that is a sweet setup.....like beth said, thats a lot of wood to cover and the elevations will be a pain....there are a lot of folks here that can give you a ton of advice, but let me just say this, "if you do this on your own, PLEASE dont put Behr on it" its too nice for that".....then again, an old nasty piece of rotting fence is too nice for that stuff... :)

but let me just say this, "if you do this on your own, PLEASE dont put Behr on it" its too nice for that".....then again, an old nasty piece of rotting fence is too nice for that stuff... :)

I second that advice. It will wreck good wood. And IMHO, anything the home center sells is crap...

I thought there were better products available just did not know where to look that is how I found this sight. Only used bher premium before because my neighbor is one of there reps. 250 ft of fence 6' tall total cost $45. Sounded good sence I knew I would be moving in the future. I plan to stay at the new home so I want it done correct.

I don't want to waste any of the pro's time but would be curious if any on could venture a guess on price for hiring a pro to tackle this in my stead. I was off as I am sure you noticed by the pics. footage is closer to 1000 sq/ft. Measured it last night.

Thanks for all the input.

Georgia prices are probably lower than here in the northeast but here is a starting ground. You have a thousand square feet of floor (per your measurements) More realistically with rails, steps, benches and posts you are well over 2000 sf of wood. You also have to factor in extra time and danger of the height for the exterior of the rails. On the plus side it looks like a sodium percarbonate cleaning versus a strip job. Here would be my breakdown.

Using 2000 sf:

Clean and pH balance with acidic wood brightener: $1200

Seal using contractor product, 2 year guarantee on workmanship: $1000

Materials (16 gallons sealer) : $560

Total for project: $2,760

My guess is a homeowner/inexperienced contractor would be working on this for 6-7 working days. If you could tackle it on weekends, There is a good possibility parts of the deck would turn grey before you got to seal them, in which case you would have to start from scratch again. A deck like that could easily cost you $35,000 to have built. The faster you get it cleaned and sealed properly, the better.

Things to look for in a contractor: Liability insurance, uses the proper detergents, does not exceed 1000 psi (and knows how to nozzle down his machine to achieve that pressure), before and after photos of his work and ten references. I'd call five of the ten and visit at least two of them. Doing a deck this size and height requires more experience. Countless times I have seen guys underbid this type of project and abandon it midway through realizing they will not be making a profit.

Be choosy and don't give anyone more than a third down. (I take nothing until the first day of work is completed) Remember, like anything else, you get what you pay for..Best of luck to you!

Ken,

Thanks for the numbers thought I measured it at 1(10x10), 1(8x6), 1(10x10) and 1(22x18) = 650 roughly plus stairs and railing is where I got my figure. I believe I will end up doing it my self or waiting till next spring and have it done.

Form the products I have seen mentioned here I am leaning toward ready seal and wood tux at the moment. Which would have the longest life span and/or be easiest for a novice. to apply. According to ready seal web site it does not need to be backbrushed after being sprayed?

What kind of cleaner would be recomended. The deck was built and left (no stain, paint or sealer.)

Just a note I have cleaned seal and sealed my fathers getaway cabin in the ga mountains. Fiin ishe dthe inside walls floor and cabinet with clear pol. and the outside walls with (sorry agien it was cheap for me thought) Behr. see pictures attached.

post-1338-137772146932_thumb.jpg

post-1338-13777214694_thumb.jpg

I would go with the Ready Seal or try the Wood Tux DMC formula. These are products you will have to reapply yearly but are more forgiving in application. Based upon my experience of measuring wood square footage I would say you have about 1400 sf which would bring your cost down to about $2000.

The products and tools you are going to need are some type of sodium percarbonate cleaner, oxalic or citralic acid, a couple of pump up sprayers, some type of sealer sprayer, paintbrushes, masking, extension poles, 24 foot ladders and (not doubting your ability) probably a solid week of eight hour days. If you have any more detailed questions, please email me. I will have products available for your cleaning by next spring. I will also offer you assistance in making the job go more smoothly.

Clifford,

If you are interested, we are a Ga. contractor (Metro Atlanta Area) who can handle the decks you have.

We have done screen porches before and they are not as difficult as one might imagine. The altitude can be a challenge, but the rest of the job is fairly straightforward.

There is at least one screen porch job on our website at www.pamspressureclean.com We have others if you would like to see them. Just follow the link, nose around for awhile, check out the gallery, and shoot us an e-mail or phone call if you would like to discuss your project.

BTW,

Contrary to opinions above, Ready Seal, when applied as directed does NOT need to be redone each year unless a clear is applied. As one might guess, a clear has zero UV protection and while the wood may be waterproofed, it will still turn grey and look weathered. The Georgia climate does not treat decks kindly and we would suggest that at a minimum, our clients use medium brown Ready Seal.

It should also be corrected that the necessity for applying RS annually is due to generally only applying one coat (proper installation directions says two coats are correct), or performing poor quality prep jobs.

As far as product selection goes, the advice as above id dead on..Stay away from Behr, and go with a better product like Ready Seal. We are experienced with both Ready Seal and Wood Tux, with our favorite being Ready Seal. You can feel confident in dealing with us on either product if you so choose.

As far as pricing goes, we would be happy to discuss the particulars with you over the phone if you like.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Pam & Cujo

Clifford,

You are in good hands here. I suggest talking to all of the GA contractors who respond here. I'm confident you'll come to the right decision.

Moving is hard work. You want to get the house set up just right, get settled, and start living. Let these guys help. The last thing you want is to be in a brand new place you are in love with, and come to dread the deck/porches. Get a pro to do it, and enjoy life.

Beth

p.s. Love the cabin....as a side note, we have experience with that type of work and will travel for something of that size. Note...for future reference.

Im here to help you if you wish .i also use ready seal prooducts.with great success.and good longgevity on the stain.Decks are all i do .steve rodoski 678-859-2664.who ever you chose .make a good decission .and be happy with your contractor.im here in buford ga .dont hesitate to call.even if its just to ask questions.thnx steve http;//www.stevenrpressurewashing.com/