Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy M

House Wash With A Cedar Shake Roof

Question

Does anyone have any ideas on washing a mildewed house with nonsealed grayed out cedar shake shingles. Customer does not want shingles to be lightened by housewash mix.This house has multiple dormers and a very steep roof and many places that the mix will run directly onto shingles.I am wanting to seek ideas before declining this job,I think I'll be the third to decline. thanks

13 answers to this question

I wouldn't be too hasty to decline it. I had a similar situation. But the variables of mine may have been different.

What material will you be cleaning? Is it vinyl siding? Stucco?

How do you apply your chems?

Do you have hot water?

Is the roof moldy as well?

Can access all areas to be cleaned via ladder or lift?

If it's vinyl siding...Saturate the cedar shakes with plain water, get your final mix hitting the house to 1% sodium hypochlorite and car wash soap. Apply via downstreamer with large orifice 0 degree nozzle. Stream is very direct and you can control overspray. Work in very small sections and as soon as you apply your housewash mix, re-rinse shingles carefully. Let dwell fifteen to twenty minutes. If you have hot water turn it on..160 F...and rinse with the same nozzle.

It's going to take you twice as long working cautiously and methodically. Hopefully this guy is aware that what he is asking for carries a premium price.

PP,

.....I think what the guy was saying was that the walls were covered in "a cedar roof", i.e. cedar shakes. I had to re-read to get the meaning, I at first thought like you that he meant "keeping the cleaner off the roof" but I believe what was meant was they want the cedar house to stay looking grey. I suppose he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with PP, it takes a bit longer and you have to be careful but its not as difficult as you would think. Proper prep, using your head and a little extra care is all that's needed. Give me a call if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you out if I can.

Very likely this is an older painted house with cedar shakes ON THE ROOF, not the walls. In our area older homes often have small roofs jutting up, out, over in all directions and as I read the question, there are sections of shakes that are going to be subject to getting hit by housewash. The owners do not want to have the grayed out appearance changed by getting the house itself washed.

I believe that Ken had the jist right the first time. It's going to be a delicate housewash, but not impossible.

Celeste

Ok, now I'm really wishing the original poster would come back and clarify for us. I'm sticking to my analysis.

1)why would three guys turn it down if all they have to do is keep cleaner off the roof?

Ya know what, I just went back and read it and he mentions dormers, and keeping the cleaner off the roof so it doesn't streak. So I guess I am wrong once again:)

Yes it is a cedar roof. This is a large house, probably $750,000 range maybe more. Keep in mind this is N.C.There are many places that the housewash mix will have to be applied by downstream or x-jet due to extreme pitch roof and distance from edge of roof. I called the owner back today with intensions of declining. She is now willing to compromise. I am gonna saturate shingles before during and after weak dilution of chems with an understanding by signature that there may be some slight lightening of shingles.I hate these roofs. I would'nt want a roof with so much maintenance and a short lifespan.Another contractor in my area cleaned one of these roofs. He had to do it from 40' lift charging a large fee. They did not want it sealed.They want the weathered look without the mold and mildew. He did it a year ago, he probably needs to follow up, I'm sure it needs cleaning again, anyway,if you live in a million dollar house here you can afford to do such.Oh yea,I know these areas could be cleaned by hand with climbing gear ,but I 'm not a monkey so that would be out of question for me.lol Beth I love this board, thanks for making it all work. Jimmy

Can you tell me if you were succesful with this job? I have the exact same situation in New England. Please see below:

Hi,

I am looking for some advice and/or a referral. We own a historically important all cedar shingle home in Boston, MA. The house has a massive roof that is severely pitched and measures approximately 40'x120' per side. The house was reshingled about five years ago and the shingles are aging nicely but for the northern facing roof. A slimy green moss has covered the entire roof. During the summer when it is dry, the moss dries out and has a brownish dirty appearance and as soon as it cools down and turns wet, the roof greens up and takes on a mossy, slimy look. It is not a heavy moss coating but rather a thin film. I have had several contractors look at it but once they see the size and pitch of the roof, they never call back. They have all said that they would need to get a bucket truck or lift and then pressure wash. This seems to be a massive undertaiking. Recently I was given other advice and wanted to get the professional's take on this advice.

I was told to purchase the Xjet M5 pressure waher attachment and soak the intire roof in Spray and Forget. http://www.sprayandforget.com The idea is that I could use a pressure waher from the ground and with the Xjet spray the solution 40-50' up to the roof ridge and therefore soak the intire roof in this solution. There has been no representation that the roof would look pressure cleaned but rather after several months the moss will have died and I will be left with a mossless roof but it will still retain the aged shingle look. This would be a fine result since the rest of the house is browning up as the shingles age. Does this sound like good advice? If so, will the Xjet attached to a 2400 psi, 2.5gpm washer spray 50' in the air? does Spray and Forget actually work? are there any other solutions other than bleach? Other thoughts?

If anyone know of a pro in the Boston area who would tackle this thien that may be the best way to go. Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Your machine with an X-Jet will be lucky to get 25 feet. The X-Jet also creates a mist that is susceptible to carrying pretty far in a breeze (or neighbors car)

Bleach would be the only chemical strong enough to get diluted through your machine (or X-Jet) and kil the mold. It will also discolot the shingles dramatically. The solution is to spray on sodium percarbonate at maximum strength, let it sit for awhile then rinse it. You either have to tie off with safety and repelling gear to do this or rent a lift. That is one HUGE roof, you are right to seek professional help on this one.