Sign in to follow this  
shariray

Need Furniture?

Question

Hello Friends,

My best man/best friend who resides in Bend, Oregon is not only a great guy, but a true craftsman at building custom furniture.

After speaking with him the other day it is apparent that his trade is getting eaten alive by mass produced products from Japan and China.

I don't know how else to help him out other than doing my best to refer potential customers to him who have an appreciation for heirloom quality workmanship.

Please pay a visit to his web site so if and when you or anyone you might know is on the market for such things, you can help keep alive a dieing breed of craftsman/artist.

www.johanwoodworking.com

I'd hate to see him have to get a production job making the left hand door for a Home Depot Cabinet.

Thanks

Ray Johnson

Deck Restoration Plus - Bergen County, NJ

5 answers to this question

WOW. Truly beautiful craftsmanship, and reasonably priced for custom furniture. I like the Finnish clean-lines and exposed dovetails. I hope things pick up for him, it is unfortunate when a true craftsman cannot find customers that appreciate his talents. Being said, I imagine his is in a great area where he can find people to support his talents.

Tell him to check this out. http://www.sugarloafcrafts.com/schedule.html

I have been to this festival several times. GREAT crafts. It travels from state to state, and I will bet there are shows out west too, maybe by another crafts event company. I would look in to becoming an exhibitor if I were him.

Beth

Ray,

Long before I got into pressure washing and pre-tire manufacturing I learned to build cabinets,furniture and restore antiques.Your buddy is a true craftsman,lots of old school techniques used in his furniture you just can't find in production pieces.He has a rare talent and I pray that he is able to keep his busines going.

I would suggest he market his website to higher end interior designers.They are always looking for quality furnishings to put into their clients homes.A well place ad(if he can afford it) in some of the home magazines like Southern Living and the like could also bring in the quality conscious customers he is looking for.

Excellent idea! Ray, does he have a full color glossy catalog? He should get one done if not, and get it into the hands of interior designers. Also there are some nice boutique type stores tht carry home furnishings and upper end items. Those would be great targets.

Beth