Sign in to follow this  
cjansa

Pics of the staircase from HELL!

Finally, here is a view from the underside that shows the valley of the roofline which is causing all the trouble.

The 3rd pic here is a closeup of the raised grain. How will this look if I stain over the top of it. Time is not on my side here, it never got above 45 deg this weekend and I'm afraid I will run out of time if I have to de-fur the whole thing.

post-1344-137772147089_thumb.jpg

post-1344-137772147092_thumb.jpg

post-1344-137772147098_thumb.jpg

Cindy,

While I'm not the foremost authority on wood restoration here(yes I can do it and have done it,but I don't do as much as others)I would say before going any farther with cleaning the staircase, look into gutters for the house.If you don't this will happen again.The constant exposure to the moisture can and eventually will cause the logs to rot.

The raised grain on the logs looks as though it will need to be cleaned and defurred before it is resealed.

Unfortunatley gutters are not an option. The snow and ice will just rip them off while the house sits vacant over the winter. The roof line was a very poor design for the decks and stairs. The rot you mention is being repaired on another of the decks in the back of the house. I have a feeling this is going to be a never ending problem.

post-1344-137772147102_thumb.jpg

post-1344-137772147106_thumb.jpg

Testing testing......is this thing on? Did I screw it up so bad no one wants to comment?

That was funny! I'm not a wood guy either, but that got a chuckle out of me.

Ok, I just ordered the Makita polisher and a couple 6" square Osborn brushes on the suggestion of Jon Fife. The folks at www.aloghomestore.com were very helpful and assure me they will be here Thursday so I can head back up and finish this job properly. I will post some pics of the finished product next week. Hopefully you all won't be so shy with feedback once it's all done : )

Cindy,

Obviously your post is well dated, but it seems to me your problem is not going to go away!

I have experience w log homes and proper construction for snow.

It is a very nice home, and should be protected.

I shall try to contact you, in Rock Springs... Yes, I could use a road trip!

My last one found me in Hailey and Ketchum, Idaho.

r

Unfortunatley gutters are not an option. The snow and ice will just rip them off while the house sits vacant over the winter. The roof line was a very poor design for the decks and stairs. The rot you mention is being repaired on another of the decks in the back of the house. I have a feeling this is going to be a never ending problem.

Metal roofs typically have ice-guards put on when the roof's installed. I don't see any on this home. What gives? Could be the reason the gutters keep getting ripped off. Just my two cents.

Rich..."well dated".... that's an understatement..she aint been on since 05'.. haha .. :)

We could STILL use a road trip to Wyoming!

I like working on logs. Most people won't do it, if they have any sense!

We used to cut down the handles on a sledge, then have a sharpening shop down in the Valley grind a waffle on the heads... worked great for driving those long spikes.

I did mostly electrical back then, then got into plumbing and various carpentry aspects... They are fun! And have a real homey feel.

Wish I was better set up to travel... Will work on that !

r