Sign in to follow this  
Cat Powerwashing Inc.

What is a good stripper for decks?

Question

I have been using cabot products from day one. I was wondering what everyone else uses to strip latex and oil based stains. The last deck I stripped was a real ***** to take the stain off which was latex. Took two applications! A gallon of wood stripper from cabots is $35.00! Thank god I don't strip many decks!

9 answers to this question

Oh man, that's ridiculous $35 per gallon? I used to use the Cabot's when I first started. I got it for $22 but it wwas still ridiculous.

I second Beth's choice for HD-80. It is made to strip decks. There are some other products out there that are made to clean concrete and while they may work they are a bit harsh. It has also been proposed to use straight sodium hydroxide, again a bit harsh. I may sound like a commercial for Extreme Solutions but I believe in the product. It has a synergistic combination of soaps that is not only way more effective than the Cabot's but it sprays easily and it costs about a dollar a gallon for most jobs.

F18 = designed to clean concrete, is it effective at removing sealer? I guess so, since people claim it does.

HD-80 = designed by wood restoration professionals for wood restoration professionals. Is it effective? It has never let me down and I have tried it as low as 2 oz per gallon.

Coming up at the end of this week will be pictures of an acrylic deck stripped with HD-80.