Sign in to follow this  
killianrussell

pitch witch

Question

just an aging roofer with a young wife ...love all the information here...seeing an increasing amount of discoloration and black streaks on shingles that i had install ...does anyone know anything about the pitch witch other than GLEN SELLS THEM ?

13 answers to this question

With the pitch witch you will need to purchase the Coress wand around a 40' wand or longer. I have used the pitch witch when I went to class a Stevens and it is an awesome tool for doing roofs. First we X-Jetted our chemical onto the roof and raised the pitch witch onto the roof we then started at the top left hand corner and started working our way slowly down the roof. When we got to the bottom we just walked it back up and while walking it up we streered it to where we needed to be. We were using a 4 gpm machine and it worked great. If you have any specific questions ask and I will try to answer them for you.:D

Thanks for your reply ...I am still confused ? I need to lug a 40 wand around to wash a roof from the ground? I didn't shingle it from a lawn chair ! Can't I just throw it in the back of my wifes mint condition OJ Simpson Edition Bronco, knock off the localized black spots while on an estimate to build a deck or side a house. Almost all two and three story houses only interested in the localized areas where upper roof drains on to lower roof that is visible from the curb.I was hoping 30 minutes of goodwill would leave me to 30 thousand dollars worth of replacement windows ,siding,doors,etc. Sounds like a can't do it with a little 2.5 gpm machine

KILLIAN RUSSELL ROOFING

First of all, sometimes 40' isn't enough. We went out on a job, and a neighbor saw us and wanted work done and based on Rod's estimation we would need about 72' of wand. Pretty extreme if you don't wash many roofs.

The pitch witch has alot of potential, but if you use one, make sure you have someone with you because they are heavy and it's not easy to get it up onto the roof.

We used our 24' Extend A Wand and the stability of the wand helped ALOT, but it was too short for what we were doing.

We tried to call and get info and pricing to order the Coress, but somehow only played phone tag with Glen. Rod felt a little frustrated by that to say the least. Needless to say we didn't get that job. Probably a blessing, given the terrain in the yard there... seemed like a nightmare waiting to happen to both of us.

Beth & Rod

I am a roofer !..own all the equipment to work ,walk ,shingle any roof from the roof..so far i have not figured out a way to shingle them from the ground..can't i carry this up a ladder use your wand and walk it ?

Killian Russell,

Here's your review:

1. you need either a helper, or a ladder, to get the attachement up on the roof (pitch witch).

2. Rod says that he feels you need 3gpm or better, due to the fact that you're using an attachment with 4 nozzles.

3. The Pitch Witch is inexpensive enough, but can you justify the wands price, given the amount of this type of work in your area? That's the big question.

We've heard both good and bad about the wands, but have not used them so we don't have an opinion on them. Rod feels you could put a wand together for less. It's too bad Extend A Wand doesn't make one that long. If they did, we would suggest that one in a heart beat. Unfortunately they only go up to 24' in length.

Hope this helps.

Beth & Rod

p.s. Rod doesn't care to go up onto roofs. Lots of pressure washers don't. Working with wands fromt he rooftop can be dangerous, and if you do, please make sure to tie yourself to something.

Exactly ...can i justify the price when i have a fortune already in fall protection equipment It seems everything always works in theroy but i see few if any ranch homes on level lots.What would be the difference between the walking stick and extent a wand with this machine ?

We have not tried the Walking Stick, but I believe it is for closer proximity between you and the surface you're cleaning, and I also think it's better when the surface is beneath you, but I'm not certain on that second point.

Extension poles vary. Extend-A-Wand is a wonderful product by a Canadian company. We sell them here. The company is at www.extendawand.com and they should have product specs there. They are light weight, and are not twist lock, or fiberglass. They are aluminum, and have a really nice pin locking system. The bend on the end of the wand makes them easy to work with, since you don't have to wressle the wand. It help to keep it upright. You can use a 2.5 GPM machine with their wand.

Hope this helps.

Beth

Maybe I'm too idealistic ....was looking for a review not a sales presentation..someone who works with this tool etc.

If you would goto the website you would notice the walking stick has an elbow on the end so that the angle of the pitchwitch will be the proper angle to contact the roofing. Also the pitchwitch is designed to go up and down a roof as from the ground that is the way the tips are angled so that it doesnt spray water back under the shingles. If you were to use the walking stick you would still need to go up and down the roof from the angle as to be facing up the roof not down. I have used the coress wands and I love them they are light weight and very easy to use and best of all they dont sway a whole lot like my yellow extension wand.

I would never just spot clean a roof its ok to clean just the front or back or side but never just a spot. You will have a clean spot on the roof and it would show up in my opion.

By the way this info was not meant as a sales pitch as I have nothing to gain except to help you.

thanks i think i understand...the nozzles are set up in a manner which i must work from the eave up to the ridge..the poles are costly but work great ..i may buy one anyway figure out how i can make it work for me ..to buy a walking stick ,pitch witch,etc with out poles will cost me five hundred ?