Sign in to follow this  
John T

Carrying fuel in enclosed area

Does anyone know what the rule is as far as carrying fuel in an enclosed Box Truck or trailer?? Is it even allowed and if so is there a cutoff on how much you can carry??

The reason I'm asking is because I have a 35 gallon diesel fuel tank along with 3-5gallon gas tanks that I would like to store in there.

Thanks

its stupid, diesels ok. gasoline is a huge problem. you should install a external fueling from the outside.

if the tanks are enclosed and your truck has proper venting and you dont open the containers inside or run the equipment while the tanks are stored then your ok. build a exteranl hold outside the truck.

If anyone has a copy of the N.Y. Vehicle Code, I'd think you (John T) might be able to dig one up..... :)

I dont think the Illinois Vehicle code book would help you much, but after just looking thru it, there is nothing that speaks of this...hmmmmmm, other than transporters selling fuel, they must stop at railroad crossings....thats it....

I was not saying its not legal. its stupid to fuel and use fuel in any inclosed area. especially with electric and heat. even with good ventalation its wrong.

Maybe myself or Johnny might be careful but i know hes going to put that truck in someone elses hands. OPPPPPSSSSSSSS BOOMMMMMMM

John... NYS Requirements

TRANSPORTING GASOLINE & DIESEL FUEL

(Code: SB-96-2, Date: 6/10/96)

Transportation of fuel shall be accomplished by portable fuel cans with a maximum capacity of 5 gallons each, or cargo fuel tanks. All containers shall be properly labeled.

Gasoline shall only be transported in approved 5 gallon portable gas cans, with a limit of four (4) cans per vehicle.

Portable five (5) gallon cans transported on any Department vehicle or equipment shall be fastened in a vented box, or lashed to the body of the vehicle with web straps, using eyebolts through the side of the body backed up by a 3 inch x 3 inch x 3/16 inch steel backing plate. There shall be two eyebolt anchor points for each can.

Only steel or aluminum Type I or Type II safety cans shall be used to transport gasoline.

Cargo fuel tanks shall not exceed 150 gallon capacity per vehicle. Vehicle transporting fuel in cargo tanks of 115 gallons or more shall display either a hazardous materials placard indicating identification number NA 1993 for diesel fuel or a placard indicating 'Fuel Oil'. When empty, the placard shall not be displayed. Employees operating a placarded vehicle shall have a CDL License with a Hazardous Materials Endorsement.

Placarded vehicles transporting hazardous materials shall carry appropriate shipping papers. Shipping papers shall be within the driver's immediate reach or in a holder mounted on the driver's door. When the vehicle is unoccupied, shipping papers shall be on the driver's seat or in the holder mounted on the driver's door.

Sample shipping papers shall read:

(Specify #) CARGO TANK(S) DIESEL FUEL 3 NA 1993 PGIII

In Case of Emergency Call (work location phone #)

Cargo tanks shall be constructed of a minimum of 14 gauge steel or 16 gauge aluminum. New tanks purchased shall not exceed 110 gallon capacity, and as such will not require placarding.

'No Smoking' shall be prominently displayed on the vehicle, and smoking prohibited within 50 feet during fueling.

Pick up trucks shall be used to transport fuel whenever possible. Tanks shall be mounted directly against the front of the truck body box and fastened to the frame whenever possible with anchor bolts. If fastening to the frame is not possible, and it is necessary to mount the tanks solely to the box, a 6 inch x 6 inch x 3/16 inch steel backing plate shall be used for each tank.

Any void between tanks shall vent to the atmosphere by a minimum of a 1 inch inside diameter drain. Any connecting structure shall have inspection openings of sufficient size and number to permit proper visual inspection. All joints shall be welded in conformance with ASME Code of Welding Procedures, and where possible accessible for inspection.

A 10 gauge steel bulkhead shall be mounted directly behind the fuel tank, securely fastened to the body of the truck on the floor and both sides. There shall be at least 1 inch space between the bulkhead and the fuel tank. The tank shall be equipped with a fill vent assembly with a flame arrester.

Pumps shall be UL approved, with wire cored bonding hose and antisiphon valve. Any piping between the pump and the tank shall be Schedule 80.

Vehicles transporting fuel shall be equipped with at least one 10 pound fire extinguisher, either BC or ABC dry chemical, and mounted to be easily accessible.

The vehicle shall be equipped with a wire mesh cap protector screen. The exhaust system of the truck in the area below where the cab and body meet shall have a heat shield.

Matt,

Great info!! Thanks a ton!! My diesel Powerwasher has a seperate 35 Gallon diesel fuel tank that will be at least 10' from the powerwasher. This will be filled when the truck is filled. I rather not tap into the truck gas tanks if I don't have to an according to what Matt posted I should have no problem storing the diesel gas tank inside the box truck.

After speaking to Ron M. today I think I will carry the 5 gal. gas cans on the outside of the box truck to be on the safe side. I will also be carrying 124 gallons of LP on the outside of the truck....I just hope I or one of my workers never get into an accident with this truck set-up because it will be like the finally on July 4th......