Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Behr disaster on cedar deck

Question

This deck is still young, only a few years old. The problem is, the homeowner hired a contractor to care for it, and had them put Behr on the deck. After the deck turned black and splotchy, both a prior contractor and the owner tried to blast the deck with high pressure to remove the Behr. Needless to say, this deck is severely gouged, lots of raised grain as well as splintering and cracking that looks more advanced than it should. We are stipping this deck, then we will be sanding the deck to bring the boards back to smooth in order to correct the damage done with high pressure. Then we will be sealing it.

Beth

post-1-137772147541_thumb.jpg

post-1-137772147544_thumb.jpg

32 answers to this question

Beth/rod,

Another thing, on the first finished pic of the floor, the knot area has the dreaded "light" look in some spots. Does it still appear that way once dried, or does it go away?? You know as well as I the solution is the second coat, but then that changes the whole theory behind maintenance services. Thouhts??

One reason I am not a big fan of that cheaper knotty grade of cedar. I have stopped using ATO on cedar. I now stick to stains that have heavier pigmentation. Or I charge more to put on two coats.

Beth, this guy is unreasonable. The finished product when that thing was sanded is very near perfection. It bites when the customer is not happy with the color on a penetrating oil. Hope it works out well for you.

The knots tend to absorb quickly leaving that shiny look behind which can only be remedied by over application to them. Even after being sanded this condition of dryness still is present below.

We completed the touch up and it looked just as good as the first time.

Problem is, I knew this was going to happen and informed the customer beforehand that since their deck had been allowed to be exposed for such a long time (not to mention the pulverizing it was given with a pressure washer before we even estimated it) and the fact that it has dried out extensively it would be needing another wash and re-coat in the spring due to the neglect.

This is one of the ones that thinks that the sanding will remedy all the ills and no more problems. (a little knowledge...) I told him that sanding only removes the visual defects on the wood surface but does not reverse the condition of the wood that exists below in the substrate.

But he was hell bent on ignorance of the preexisting conditions insisting on another coat despite the fact that I told him it could leave shiny spots in many areas of the deck.

Another case of the "I don't care what you tell me is wrong, I want it to look perfect no matter what, now get busy and wave your magic wand and impress me!" stuff.

Oh well, on to the next happy customer. You just cant please them all especially the ignorant unreasonable ones who don't care how much effort you put into making their disaster look 1000% better than before you got there. They want the Porsche after only paying for the Civic with the spoiler on the trunk!

Rod~

You know what Rod.....you can't please everybody! Just put his money in your pocket and move on. He may eventually figure out you were right and call you back, but more likely his pride will not let him.

I've come to realize there are a certain percentage of customers who I just am not going to be able to please. I just go about my business, do the best possible job I can, and when I lay my head down at night to sleep, I have no regrets because I know I did the best I could.]

I think you did things right, and the best you could, and that's really what's most important when running a business.

Update: Rod went back yesterday, added a little more product, and then spoke to the customer yesterday evening. The guy seems to have changed his mind and is talking about us doing the fence now....

Beth

Sorry to continue this thread this far but I have found the latest developments interesting and perhaps beneficial for others who develop a scenario such as ours.

The client called again in the afternoon to check and see if we had been out to give it another coat. He was in traffic on his way home. Very pleasant and more full of questions and understanding after the previous nights conversation on the phone where I was trying to be helpful and reassuring that we were not just going to take his money and split. He apologized for his actions on the call and wanted to continue the relationship realizing that I was right in the fact that his deck was in terrible shape and what we had accomplished was great so far. It was just a disappointment to find it needed even more attention and the realization that it may as I had explained need another wash and re-coat again in the spring to help his deck get the best treatment possible. He is going to have this done btw...

This is a complete 180* and he has even confided that his fence is the next project in a year or so but he knows that one will be an expensive project.

The point I am trying to make is even though you may get off the phone with a customer who is pissed or unhappy at the time, if you have made the efforts to try and be helpful and considerate with them, they eventually will stop and realize they were the ones panicking and the reassurance of your willingness to help within the boundaries of the current contract will help them feel more secure. They could be reacting this way because of a previous experience.

This is one of the things that helps to set ourselves apart from the rest and changes the perceptions these customers have so they may consider our trade an actual profession. I don't care for the take the money and run mindset because it translates into 1 shot jobs and no return business. The attitude we employ in our conversations emphasizes this. Do you look for repeat business or do you want to just get the job done, paid and never see this person again?

Attitude is everything in this business and that is what will help change your customers perceptions.

Rod~

The thing to remember here, is that a penetrating oil, never penetrates the same on any two boards. Every board is a little different. Some boards are thirstier than others, and some areas of boards are thirstier than others. Getting an even application means you might need to fine tune it after your initial application as you observe the penetration. ATO was formulated for hardwood. Being that cedar is softer, it is a better penetrator on cedar than on say ipe or teak. If something looks uneven, chances are your boards are thirsty in places.

Ok...off the soap box.

Beth