Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Need bid help - Office building

I'm working up a bid for an office bldg. The bid is being requested by a large property management firm, and a good job/bid could open up a big opportunity future work. That said:

The building is about 210x150 brick. Counting alcoves and courtyards, there is approx 1100 lin.ft. of wall. At various intervals up the wall, there are 5 bands of precast white concrete (contoured) varying from 6lin.in - 18lin.in. The bands are at located at approx 2ft, 4ft, 13ft, 15ft, and 24ft elevation. They want just these bands cleaned and sealed. Some rust, lost of black gook that looks like mildew. Bricks are "fairly" clean. Anyway, the total width of all bands is approximately 4.6sq.ft. per lin foot for a total area of about 4600sq.ft.

I'm certain that a lift will be required as will masking. I was thinking of making a custom 10 ft spray shield for each band.

Any suggestions for working and bidding this one? I'm thinking $2.50/sq/ft

Pics to follow.

Any suggestions for working and bidding this one? I'm thinking $2.50/sq/ft

I think that price is about $2.00 too high. I have done new construction cleaning in your market and it was not even at $0.50 s.f. Existing is going to be cheaper. However, the difference is that accessability at this point is not what is was at the time it was built. If it was new it could be done in approx. 2 days. I think that you are looking at about a one day job depending on traffic for cleaning about the same for sealing. Depending on the sealer, to give you an idea i can get brick sealed for $0.18 s.f. for labor only.

Philip -

I visited http://www.eacochem.com for the first time the other day. I would think one of their masonry detergents or concrete cleaning products might work for this job and be relatively safe. I plan on testing a few of their products...no experience with them yet, though.

/neil

Neil go visit Brent at Guaranteed Supply in Fletcher, he can fix you up with whatever you need. Tell him the Jim Carroll sent you.

Well shizzle my nizzle!:lgmoneyey

Jim, I would have never of known. THANK YOU!...A Prosoco resource 4 miles from my office.

I have a place in Seagate. We're down alot. We should fish and/or drink a few next time I'm down now that I'm indebted to you and all...

/neil

I have done new construction cleaning in your market and it was not even at $0.50 s.f. Existing is going to be cheaper. However, the difference is that accessability at this point is not what is was at the time it was built. If it was new it could be done in approx. 2 days. I think that you are looking at about a one day job depending on traffic for cleaning about the same for sealing. Depending on the sealer, to give you an idea i can get brick sealed for $0.18 s.f. for labor only.

Perhaps the pics are deceiving, but I just don't see this as a one day job. If it were the whole building surface, we're looking at more like 37-42,000 square feet of wall. But they only want the precast done (no brick) and there is glass adjacent to half of it which means tons of masking, etc cleanup. It's only 4700sq.ft. of work, but it's in 5 bands 6"-10" wide and located 4-10ft apart. Also, there's 250lin.ft. (1150sq.ft) or precast in a enclosed courtyard that will have to be laddered. No access for a lift. FWIW, access hours are after 5pm and on weekends.

Based on SunBrite prices, I'm at $391.00 for sealer alone. Add in $250/day for a lift and $240/day for labor. Assuming that I can get it done in 2 days, that's $1400 in expenses. And that ignores fuel, insurance, etc. Throw the whole nut in there, and I'm at $384/12hr day operating expenses. Now we're at $1700+ in expenses. At $0.50/ft that's only $2350.00 for the job. Not for me...

I bid $3.00/sq.ft. and plan on 14 working days. I'll let you know how it works out.

As always, all comments are welcome.

Philip,

Since you have submitted your bid this may be to late,but here is my $.02

We were asked to just clean the stone work on the church we are bidding.After some serious thought I passed on that idea and let them know cleaning the entire building was the only solution to give the desired outcome they were looking for.It's 120yr old building so it's way over due for a good cleaning from top to bottom.

Since your bid is only for the pre-cast,a product like saferestore from eacochem that is safe around glass and aluminum might be what you need.Pre-wetting the brick and windows would/should save you the trouble of masking.I would keep a window scrubber and squeege handy just incase you needed to clean some of the glass.

I think the price if fair enough,good luck.

Perhaps the pics are deceiving, but I just don't see this as a one day job. If it were the whole building surface, we're looking at more like 37-42,000 square feet of wall. But they only want the precast done (no brick) and there is glass adjacent to half of it which means tons of masking, etc cleanup. It's only 4700sq.ft. of work, but it's in 5 bands 6"-10" wide and located 4-10ft apart. Also, there's 250lin.ft. (1150sq.ft) or precast in a enclosed courtyard that will have to be laddered. No access for a lift. FWIW, access hours are after 5pm and on weekends.

Based on SunBrite prices, I'm at $391.00 for sealer alone. Add in $250/day for a lift and $240/day for labor. Assuming that I can get it done in 2 days, that's $1400 in expenses. And that ignores fuel, insurance, etc. Throw the whole nut in there, and I'm at $384/12hr day operating expenses. Now we're at $1700+ in expenses. At $0.50/ft that's only $2350.00 for the job. Not for me...

I bid $3.00/sq.ft. and plan on 14 working days. I'll let you know how it works out.

As always, all comments are welcome.

I just reread the thread sorry, I have gotten $1.15 for clean and seal on existing, not as many windows though.

Well shizzle my nizzle!:lgmoneyey

Jim, I would have never of known. THANK YOU!...A Prosoco resource 4 miles from my office.

I have a place in Seagate. We're down alot. We should fish and/or drink a few next time I'm down now that I'm indebted to you and all...

/neil

I am only like 10 minutes south of Seagate on 17 bypass.

Philip,

After some serious thought I passed on that idea and let them know cleaning the entire building was the only solution to give the desired outcome they were looking for.

Pre-wetting the brick and windows would/should save you the trouble of masking.

I tried to explain that to them, particularly since alot of the building has patches of effloruescence.

Also, the masking wasn't for the cleaning, it was for applying the sealer. I'd hate for the brick to have darker shades from runs and the glass to be spattered from overspray.