Sign in to follow this  
the_GUNN_man

12.5% sh vs. bleach

This has probably been covered before but I was wondering is a gallon of 12.5% sh(pool chlorine) and a gallon of water equal to two gallons of 6% bleach? Well minus the extra .5% from the chlorine. I always use the 12.5% because it is easier carrying less. It would seem to me they should be equal.

British Isles Tim,

By neat, I assume you mean straight strength without dilution. This is I assume sodium hypoclorite or "Bleach" as it is known in the U.S.

For wood, most go with a 3 to 4% solution as far as I know. That is about max. Do not have any idea of other surfaces or applications.

British Isles Tim,

By neat, I assume you mean straight strength without dilution. This is I assume sodium hypoclorite or "Bleach" as it is known in the U.S.

For wood, most go with a 3 to 4% solution as far as I know. That is about max. Do not have any idea of other surfaces or applications.

Yes, neat means without water. As in "Scotch. Neat please."

Houseways is around 1-2% dilution with 1% being more common. 12.5% is much too strong for most uses. 6-8% for roofs, 2% for mildewed concrete, 3% for tannin stains.

As for the 1x12% = 2x6%, you are correct. And just yesterday, we had a big day and one house much larger than plan. We ran out of 12% half way through the last house and ran to Kroger for 6% to finish. After re-adjusting our mix for 6%, we completed the job without incident.