Sign in to follow this  
Aplus

Pressure treated pine fence

Question

Here is a couple pics of a pressure treated pine fence we did recently. It had a horrible green tint to it, and the wood appeared to be of the lowest quality. We washed and brightened it, then sprayed TWP cedartone via an airless sprayer.

The TWP did a fairly good job of hiding the green tint. I would have preferred something a little darker to better hide the green, but this is the color that the customer wanted. Actually this TWP color is the single most popular color for stains that I apply.

The fence was only 242 feet, and we did both sides. Probably a chip shot compared to what Shane gets, but I was just happy to get the work this late in the season.

post-77-137772148429_thumb.jpg

post-77-137772148434_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

Shane, thats the lovely results of snow, ice, freeze, thaw, snow plows, salt, sand etc.

Yeah that makes sense Mike ... :cool: reminds me of the roads in La. also patches on top of patches :D

The fence was approx 2904 s/f counting both sides. That is: 242' long, x 6' high, x 2 for both sides.

I sprayed 17 gallons with an airless sprayer, soaked until it dripped off, by myself, in just over 2 hours. So that's about 170 s/f per gallon.

That fence was about two months old, so it really was in good shape, not cracked and gnarly.

The road you see in front of the fence is actually a road that is behind the homeowners house, and they built that fence because they got tired of the noise of the cars. It's not a well maintained road because it's not used very often, sort of a service road.

On old gnarly fences, I expect a coverage rate of about 125 s/f per gallon with TWP.

Tony-

You mentioned the fence was fairly new. Did you wash it first? If so, how long did that take?

So far if you've covered over 2000 square feet in just over two hours. That is excellent for one man.

Russell

Russ,

Yes we washed the fence. It was basically pretty clean, just a little dried mud on the bottom and a few bird droppings here and there.

Now I don't normally use this product, but I got a great deal on a few gallons of Wolman deck & fence cleaner, which I xjetted on, then we washed with a #9 tip. Then I xjetted citric acid after it was washed.

First thing.....I almost never xjet wood chems, but, this one was far away from anything that could be damaged, and it was so darn big I wasn't going to take all day with my cart sprayer setup. I normally never use retail products, but the fence was in good shape, and I got a great deal on the Wolman product, for around $5 per gallon, so it made economical sense and worked quite well.

It took two of us about 2.5 hours to wash, and really, based on the condition, it should have been quicker, but we had to drag out soooo much hose and move the equipment a few times, and we had to walk 242 feet around that bugger several times.

Also, I usually don't use the airless to apply oil stain, but I just couldn't resist because it puts enormous amounts of stain on really fast. I think I had a 517 or 515 tip, so the 10" spray pattern was sweet.

Trent,

On prominent jobs like that one, I always ask permission to leave a yard sign out for a week or so. Most folks are fine with it. These folks said they don't see the sign, leave it there as long as I want. I placed an older sign and will leave it there as long as it stays, or until it falls down.