Sign in to follow this  
steve r

ratan furniture

Question

got a deck job today and they had 5 pieces of ratan asked if i could strip the white paint off of them .then ill seal with ready seal .never done ratan whats the best thing to strip the paint off with out hurting the furniture ?

6 answers to this question

I've never done that, and never heard of anyone stripping ratan. It may be appropriate to perform a test on a less conspicuous are and see how it turns out.

My gut feeling is that it may not work well.

Take it to a dipping house or a plating place for restoration.
thnx for the input .i stripped the ratan and it came out excellent .then stained it with readyseal dark red .clients went nuts over the work .the color was good .goes with the deck .i know one thing i wont do it again .to much work.

That's cool that it worked out ok. The thing I was concerned was the stripper and chems would weaken the material (string-whatever) that holds the rattan pieces together.

That's cool that it worked out ok. The thing I was concerned was the stripper and chems would weaken the material (string-whatever) that holds the rattan pieces together.
it looks like it will not weaken the ratan .with the understanding of the ratan may get weakened.the clients understood the situtation of striping ratan may be not good element for the ratan .ill get pics and post them .