Sign in to follow this  
JeffW

black streaks.

Question

It is getting cooler here in Central Pa.The house washing gets a little tougher this time of year; especially trying to get the black streaks off gutters.I use a butyl based cleaner and it works very,...at least until the weather turns cool.I was wondering if there is anything I can use that works a little better in cooler weather.I usually go to work later in the day when it warms up a little,...use the cleaner a little stronger,...and let it dwell a little longer, but anything easier would be of great help.Thanks!

7 answers to this question

I havent found anything yet. Ive used Gutter Zap , Gutter Shock and one other product and all of them we just had to make stonger and brush it on.

Gutter zap is excellent source for gutters .wet gutters good and x-jet the jap on gutters let dwell for 2 minutes then rinse .wet everything down around the house .and wet again and rinse good .make sure you keep those windows rinsed .cause the zap will leave streaky film on them.you will have to mix the zap to how bad your gutters are.i use half gallon to 3 gallonof water .

Gutter zap is excellent source for gutters .wet gutters good and x-jet the jap on gutters let dwell for 2 minutes then rinse .wet everything down around the house .and wet again and rinse good .make sure you keep those windows rinsed .cause the zap will leave streaky film on them.you will have to mix the zap to how bad your gutters are.i use half gallon to 3 gallonof water .

I didn't get nearly the results with Zap that I do with Gutter Shock. Very little to no brushing, with Zap I had to brush quite a bit.

I've recently tried and had very good luck with BD20 cleaner which is butyl based from Russ at Southside Equipment. http://www.southside-equipment.com/

I think you'll always come across some stubborn gutters that take a little extra elbox grease with a brush. I hate leaving a cleaner on gutters to long as I'm afriad I'll strip the paint. I'd rather brush it a little then use a stronger dose.

It is getting cooler here in Central Pa.The house washing gets a little tougher this time of year; especially trying to get the black streaks off gutters.I use a butyl based cleaner and it works very,...at least until the weather turns cool.I was wondering if there is anything I can use that works a little better in cooler weather.I usually go to work later in the day when it warms up a little,...use the cleaner a little stronger,...and let it dwell a little longer, but anything easier would be of great help.Thanks!

What you're experiencing is typical. Your approach in dealing with it is appropriate. Unfortunately there is no magic bullet to fix all problems.

You're right on track !

Castrol Super Clean. Automotive section of Wal*Mart. Purple jugs sold by the gallon. Prewet Gutter, put it on straight. Very little, if any scrubbing is ever required. No dwell time needed. You're welcome.

I think if you check the label you'll find that it's a diluted butyl caustic. Try industrial butyl caustic undiluted, and you'll be repainting the gutters and likely the house.

Buy concentrated, mix as needed, save $$ and your back.