Sign in to follow this  
petemoss

Extend-A-Wand Help

I have been thinking about getting an Extend-A-Wand. I would mainly be using it to do house washes on single story (some two story) houses, and to clean the outside railing on second story decks.

Being unfamiliar with this wand, I am wondering if it will give me the kind of control that I need on the decks or not. It has been several years since I used an extension wand. Back then we called the one we had "that goofey thang."

Thanks,

Michael Moss

Moss Services

Rod love his. He says he has less back strain, and better control of the wand. The design is such that instead of the wand pulling down, it lifts up and you pull the wand down rather than fighting to lift it up. He says he has less fatigue with it. He also loves the locking mechanism.

Beth & Rod

Do you think that I would need the 24 footer or would the eighteen work? I would rather have the 24, but the 18 would fit in the bed of my truck without hanging out.

Also, is there any advantage in the 3/8ths line size model over the 1/4 if I will not be trying to run at max pressure anyway. I will be using a large orfice nozzle to bring my pressure down, so I don't think the pressure drop on the 1/4 would be too big a deal. I'm trying to talk myself into the cheaper one, but I really do value folks opinions on the right thing to do.

There is a noticable difference in weight between the 3/8 and 1/4 inch hose. I don't downstream, so I bought the 1/4" for the weight savings.

The main problem with any kind of extension pole at 24 feet is controlling it. I find that 24 feet is too high to safely operate an extension pole. I have a 24 footer, but only extend it to about 18 foot max. That is just my opinion, others may vary.

The only problem I have with the Extendawand is that it is harder to let off on the trigger once it gets going. The pressure keeps the handle jammed into your hand, and hard to let off. It is however, somewhat less fatiguing than other styles. And the pin lock mechanism is FAR better than the twist cam lock style that others use. So many times I cannot get an adequate grip on the twist lock to loosen it. I end up having to wrap the end of my t-shirt around the cam to be able to twist it. A couple times I had to use pliers.

At some point, I plan to switch all my extension poles to Extendawands, but it may take awhile due to the up front cost.

I got the 24 footer from Beth, with the 3/8 hose. It is a well made pole, and though I have not used it much yet, it has been a great tool when I needed it. I agree, 24 is probably too long, I have not extended mine past 18 feet. If I had it to do over, I would probably not go with the 24 footer, since I doubt I will ever use it fully extended.

you will use the full 24 ft if you get the flexi wand and clean gutter's from the ground. Also can hook-up a shur-flo to it and spay gutter cleaner at 100% and little waste.

I am doing some test's on some homemade clip on training wheel's and nozzle size's to make a pitch witch type head to wash building's with.

Im going to try and do the reverse of the water broom and have the jet's spray down not forward. I want it to climb the wall.

It's all in the angle and chem.

Something else ive been thinking about. A turbo tip has far less back pressure then a reg spray tip.

So I'm a little confused here with the 3/8 vs 1/4 thing. We don't usually use a downstream system as we have a pump dedicated to spraying chemicals so on the one hand the 1/4 would seem to be the one we'd want, however, if the need were to arise to use the downstream method, can it be accomplished with the only drawback being the weight?

We've got to do something pretty soon about this - the yellow noodle we're using is killing my partner!

I also have the 24' Extenda wand with the 1/4 in hose. If I had to do it over I would by the 18' with the 1/4 hose because like the others say its tough to use at 24' and I hardly ever open it more then 18' because its much easier to handle. The reason why I would stick with the 1/4" hose is because I use my x-jet for adding chemicals to my cleaning which means I can get by with the 1/4".

If you want the 3/8" hose compared to the 1/4" hose is probably no more then a pound difference give or take a few ounces. As fof the 24' compared to the 18' your probably talking a few lbs. difference which means less strain on your back when using.

Also I'm sure there is a small savings in purchasing the 18' compared to the 24'

Good Luck