Sign in to follow this  
Matt in Dallas TX

2 yr?..5yr?..7yr gaurantee??

Question

Just got a customer call me back regarding a bid I gave them a few days ago.

I have a question, but first some background....

I gaurantee my work on fences for 2yrs. The product that we use works really well and is proven to do so. This is a product that is VERY similar to the "Gray Away" product that Shane on here uses. Typically last 4-5 years on a fence restoration job. And looks great. Keep in mind this type of work is all we do, so our quality of work and reputation depends upon us using a good product and doing a good job.

Well Anyways, they've hinted that would like for me to do the work, becuase I specialize in working with wood only. I'm not a part time plumber on the side, or do any pressurewashing other than what we do for wood. So basically wood restoration is my bread and butter. It would be safe to say we know what we are doing.

BUT they mentioned to me that they got another bid from "their" painter guy whose done some work for them in the past, painting the INTERIOR of their home. They said that he was HIGHER than my bid to do the work, and that he has a product that he gaurantees for 5yrs...? I asked what product it was and they dont remember what the product was he mentioned. I also explained that we stand behind our work and products we use. I gave them a list of 15 references, and 3 jobs we've actually done on their street and the street next to them.

Now after talking to them and explaining what we do and will do to them, I feel like they're going to go with me.

Now my question is, how do you guys combat these people/business' out there that just say and make rediculous claims like that(I have a product with a 5yr guarantee) just to get the customers business. Because thats what this seems like, just a claim to get their business. My thinking is if there was a product out there that was that good, I think we'd be using it. I mean my business depends on quality work. I dont "paint" the interior of houses and do fences on the side part time, like I was saying this is our bread and butter. But you still have these people out there that try and, what seems like, sabotage your bid by making claims like that.

What do you tell a homeowner or business owner when they come back with something like that?

"Well this guys gots a product he guarantees for 5yrs."

Curious to see how others handle this....

thanks guys

8 answers to this question

A fence is not a deck. Verticals and horizontals don't perform the same way with the same product applied. You will get more life out of a vertical than out of a horizontal. How long? Depends on the product and the exposure and the upkeep.

If I may make a suggestion....let the client know that typically the first spots to look at on a fence to see how it is performing, is the lowest portion from the ground up about 2 feet. This is the area to watch, it may or may not need a light wash and touch up, again depending on many factors. But letting them know up front may help. They will ask why....this is your splash zone. Water will bounce up onto that area. It will be the most likely spot to look for dirt and mildew.

Hope this helps some.

Beth

They said that he was HIGHER than my bid to do the work, and that he has a product that he gaurantees for 5yrs...? I asked what product it was and they dont remember what the product was he mentioned.

For us, these are the classic signs of a haggler or someone trying to see which way they can get someone to bend.

If they cant produce the name of the product, than I say it is a bluff. If it was that impressive of a deal, they would have remembered the name. It could be a test to see if you come up with the name yourself.

I have also found out that they have been told something and with the information overload some sales people give, it is hard to keep the facts straight.

Our position is this, the longer a product is supposed to last, the more inclined we are to say it increases the amount of neglect a homeowner is likely to have towards their property. We recommend vigilance and regular maintenance in order to keep ahead of mother nature and the relentless exposure to her 24/7.

Even if a product is supposed to last 3-5 years, we still maintain that every 2 years the property needs to be attended.

Sometimes though, you will come across the occasional homeowner that doesn't care and wants to be less bothered by this and will buy the longer lasting product thinking it is best and settle on neglecting their property.

We inform them that the longer a product lasts, the more difficult and more expensive it may be to maintain. Acrylics and paints look like $@ after maintenance coats because of the discoloration and flaking/peeling.

Stripping them and reapplying will be more expensive than just regular cleaning and re-coating more frequently.

Albeit, they may just take all this as a sales pitch to get them to buy more often, they have a lesson yet to be learned here. Do they wait 50,000 miles before having the oil changed do they? Do they wait till the car runs completely out of gas and pushing it into the next station to fill it!

You have to find an angle they can relate to for them to understand the mentality they are currently using and the best thing for them to do in the long run.

Rod~

I understand.

I guess it just frustrates me to see other people, like this painter in this case, talking about something he probably knows nothing about(fence restoration and care).... Otherwise he wouldnt be painting home INTERIORS.

its like me telling the homeowner what the BEST product they should be telling their painter to use on their INTERIOR walls in their master bedroom. And then saying I could do it better than he could, when I dont deal with that type of work to begin with.

Then again, maybe its my fault for not educating the customer well enough the first time I talk to them.

I guess it just frustrates me to see other people, like this painter in this case, talking about something he probably knows nothing about

This is easy to overcome. You can turn them from thinking about him. Education is the key. If you would like some coaching, call me. I'm glad to do it.

Beth

I've had similar problems from handymen, painters etc.., but I've never been overbid it's always under. My response is "listen, this is what I do for a living , I do it day in day out and I only use the best products. Would you ask a carpenter to fix your toilet? Would you ask a plumber to replace your roof? This is my expertise and I treat your home like it is my own, so Monday the 13th is my next availabe date, please sign here.

Yeah, thats sorta how I handled it too. I was just curious to see how other people do it or what they'd recommend.

With my references, photo album, and even references ON THEIR CURRENT STREET where they can see our work first hand really helped. Just surprises me that people still come back with stuff like that....I mean who has a legitimate five year WARRANTY, not product life, on a fence stain?

thanks for the feedback...