Sign in to follow this  
SprinklerGuy

To System or not To System

Question

Any thoughts on systems?

By systems I mean manufacturers/distributors that sell a system...an all in one system for restoration.

I have heard of some....Weathershield....Extreme....probably many others.

By going to the people or companies that market these systems..would it be a better way to learn the fine art of restoration only or would it be a good idea to learn the business as well. I know that many of them (read: ALL OF THEM)..think their way is the way the truth and the light...but are they all created equally?

Not trying to start a war...just wondering and hoping for solid advice.

thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

Sprinkler,

This is a Ford/Chevy argument. What you should determine is what is right for YOU. You may find one product works better, but their contractor support costs you time and money. And some products work better than others in certain situations. Personally, I like to keep my choices on such things limited. One, it reduces bookkeeping if you can buy most everything from one or two places, and they bill you monthly. Two, if you have employees, the more they have to remember the harder it is.

At this point in your "career", I'd get lined up with someone that can not only provide you products but excellent support not only for application but for pricing assistance, sales support, equipment advice, etc.

Find something you like the advantages of and stick with it. For instance ESI makes a stain that can be applied to wet wood. This will boost the efficiency of a lot of guys in the country. Maybe that doesn't matter to you. Maybe you like that Readyseal is lap-free and easy to use. That makes YOU more profitable and happier. Maybe you like the fact that Benamin Moore stains look nice, and there is a store one mile from your home so it is easy access. Whatever it is, find what makes you YOUR best and stick with it.

That's basically how we got started over 15 yrs.ago and it was the best move we could have made.

We found that if we would be able to get exclusive rights for a product in our area it would pay off.So after some research and finding studies on different stains being tested by the Texas Forest Service @A&M.We came upon the Gray Away we use now and how it surpassed the weathering test they were running.

So finding a small distributor/maufactuor that is willing to work with your comapny would be a big help to start your buisness.You will make a name that will set you apart from the rest of the contrators in your area.Anyone can go to Sherwin Williams,Home Depot and pick up Deckscapes,Behr etc.So to be able to get exclusive rights in your area helps if you are going to spend the time promoting a product.

Of course EVERYBODY thinks they have the best system but also you need to think will it work for what you are trying to accomplish as a comapny?

just my .10 worth :cool:

I think that wood restoration is a system. When done properly there are a series of steps that must be taken in order to achieve the best outcome. Some jobs allow for fewer steps but for the most part you will clean or strip, neutralize or brighten and then finish with a stain or sealer.

To me there is only one answer, to properly restore wood you have to use a system.

Now, like any tradesman, I have my favorite tools. They are the ones I carry to the job site most often. As anyone who has spent time in any trade can tell you, you cannot always rely on your favorite tool. More importantly, if you are going to stick with just the one tool, stick to the work it is suited for.

I am all for learning to use as many tools as I can. Makes me feel handy.

Best of Luck!

Hey..I love tools...in fact, I have enough tools to enter just about any trade that I want!

As for the info...I guess I understood that there is a system...my eyes and head hurt from reading this stuff. By system I meant....a commercial system or "franchise" if you will. Not necessarily a franchise in and of itself but a system of cleaning and restoring that is the same brand name, marketed in that way....

Or...do you use a certain stripper/cleaner from one company and a stain from another company.

thanks

Or...do you use a certain stripper/cleaner from one company and a stain from another company.

thanks

I do just that. I use chems from 1 co. & stain from another co. Both are purchased from 1 dealer.

It takes a couple of years to form an opinion and know your options.There isn't that many ways for wood prep. Know how to use all the chem's. to solve any situation .

Knowing finishes takes longer. Get samples of everything so you can form an opinion on how and why they work. This will enable you to form your own system.