Sign in to follow this  
Limeade

Best way to apply stripper?

Question

How do you guys do it?

I know this may be a really dumb question but I am trying to do everything right not become scrub. Can you use a pump spraye to apply stripper? I know you can spray on brightener, but I've never heard of stripper being applied this way.

45 answers to this question

Downstream inject it. You can cover a 500 sq. ft. deck in 5 min. or less. That's 1 benifit, the other is no streaks. I downstream both stripper & brightener.

How do you guys do it?

I know this may be a really dumb question but I am trying to do everything right not become scrub. Can you use a pump spraye to apply stripper? I know you can spray on brightener, but I've never heard of stripper being applied this way.

My prefered method to apply all my chems is using a shurflo.You get the true mixture and it's not dilutted with and injector.I mix my own chems so i can mix them as strong as i need them..:cool:

Sometimes scrubbing to aggitate the old stain is a big help as the stripper dwells.

Jarrod,

Is it tough to get a potent mix when downstreaming? Are you using the Gemini products (i know they are made to downstream). From what folks say (i have no clue) i thought DS cuts your product down to about 9:1, and that seems weak to me. Maybe you buy a liquid form product that is extremely strong??

Oh i wanted to add another reason i use a shurflo to spray my chems is so i can control my overspray.I would think using the injector that you would get chem overspray everywhere? Then again since it's dilluted it might not hurt plants as much.

You still want to prewet all the plants before during and after ..:cool:

Jarrod,

Is it tough to get a potent mix when downstreaming? Are you using the Gemini products (i know they are made to downstream). From what folks say (i have no clue) i thought DS cuts your product down to about 9:1, and that seems weak to me. Maybe you buy a liquid form product that is extremely strong??

I'm glad you asked. I use a product that shall remain nameless (for local competitive reasons) It is made here. As for strength, it is 10X stronger than anything else so that by the time it is downstreamed, the ratio is perfect. No dwell time either. No furring either. If you want me to pm you more about it I will.

Believe it or not the overspray is very minimal. I always prewet all greenery b4 starting & rinse after. Besides, we charge extra for killing plants.

Seriously though, we have never killed 1 plant in 5 years.

Same here never killed any plants but a few time they may not have been to happy especially flowering plants...i'll normally cover plants with plastic if i have to strip a deck heavy duty strength.I can mix some super strong mixes with my homemade brews. :cool:

I can't see any S/H stripper being any stronger than the "ancient chinese secret" formula i make ;)

We use a decker sprayer hvlp by pumptec to apply our stripper and a pump up to apply the neutralizer.

The hvlp sprayer helps to apply fast and only where you need it to go. I find that down-streaming or x-jet/m-5 applications just get all over everything I don't want applied to. Yeah they are fast but we have too many people with landscaping and pool concerns too close in proximity. The pump up works great because of the electricity hazards present after a wash.

btw, heres a quick tip: we use a paint strainer mesh on pump ups when filling to keep out anything that will clog or otherwise slow down the sprayer or affect the pattern. This is S.O.P. now.

Rod!~

Regarding not killing plants.....

Often times, the damage to plants is not apparent for 1-2 weeks (or more) after the plant has been exposed to the chems. Even after prewetting the plants, and rinsing afterwards, the effects of strong caustics can still be a problem, thru root absorption, etc. Often times, the homeowner won't even make the connection that anything we did could have caused the plant to die.

I've seen this happen at condo complexes, because often times I'm in and out of the complex throughout the whole summer, so I get a chance to see effects even months later.

So unless you follow up and check them out after extended times, you can't always say you never kill plants.

We use a decker sprayer hvlp by pumptec to apply our stripper and a pump up to apply the neutralizer.

The hvlp sprayer helps to apply fast and only where you need it to go. I find that down-streaming or x-jet/m-5 applications just get all over everything I don't want applied to. Yeah they are fast but we have too many people with landscaping and pool concerns too close in proximity. The pump up works great because of the electricity hazards present after a wash.

btw, heres a quick tip: we use a paint strainer mesh on pump ups when filling to keep out anything that will clog or otherwise slow down the sprayer or affect the pattern. This is S.O.P. now.

Rod!~

Ok so you do use a pump up sprayer to apply stripper? Or is that some other kind of sprayer that you mentioned.

Also if this is true, can I avoid useing brushes all together, spray on stripper, power wash it off, spray on brightener, then stain if I want to.

Limeade,

I apply stripper alot with a pump up. I pre wet the surface to be stripped and also wet down the adjacent building ie. house, garage plants etc. then I apply stripper and wet down the house again. I downstream my oxalic.

PS I do not use brushes I imagine thats one PITA!!

How about applying the stain, I've heard you can use a pump up to spray it on, and then go over it with a roller to get it on good, and to eliminate puddles. Is this correct thinking or do you all have a better way of doing it?

Limeade

Yes you can use a pump sprayer up to apply your stain also but it's not the most efficient way to apply stain.If you have a small deck 200-300 sqft no railing it won't be so bad.You will still spend too much time refilling and pumping up the sprayer for larger decks.

Your best bet will be a shurflo pump set up to also spray your stain along with our chems.I like to use a different pump for chems and staining.I actually carry 2 pumps for cleaning and 2 for staining.

I always keep a couple pump ups in the trailer for use as backups incase my 12v system fails and I can't easily field repair it.

Excellent advice. Backups are important. Always have a plan "B"...

Beth

Ok so you do use a pump up sprayer to apply stripper? Or is that some other kind of sprayer that you mentioned.

Also if this is true, can I avoid useing brushes all together, spray on stripper, power wash it off, spray on brightener, then stain if I want to.

We can use the pump up for applying the stripper but it is a back up option in the event the HVLP sprayer does not work or there is no power at the location. It is primarily used to apply a neutralizer.

HVLP=High Pressure Low Volume and it refers to a decker unit from PumpTec.

http://www.pumptecpumps.com/2005WHPWCatalog/Page26.pdf

With one exception I have not used anything other than a sprayer to apply a stripper or neutralizer. The one exception was when using ABR's Strip it all. The stuff is so thick you can't apply it any other way and to try to thin it down only makes it weak. Needless to say, after the pail was used up, I never went back to the product.

Rod!~

Does anyone remember the Deckhand??? I've had several Low-pressure setups, both purchased and homemade. The Deckhand was hands-down the best setup, and I'd probably buy another one as opposed to making my own due to the engineering of it.

shane,

that looks different than what I had, but I bought on about seven years ago. Guy in Lousville made them, wife was involved in pwna. Sold rights to Wolmans last i heard......maybe they've changed them to this model.

Makes them better?? Regarding the Deckster, I'd rather pop open my hood and sit a shurflo on top of my motor, hook it to the truck battery and string out 150' of hose then get another one of those. Didn't like it. Didn't like the Pumptec, and the design was horrid, with where the bucket sits, et al.

The Deckhand was very maneuverble and stable with the bucket containment and battery holder. Quite efficient.

I've made many more homemade, but have never gone to the necessary work to put on a battery box, figure out how to (stabley) mount a bucket, protect wires, keep it bottom-heavy, etc. Maybe rather than buy a Deckhand I'll just invest in a welder and make a really cool one. At Orschlen's or somewhere they had these giant dolly's that had me considering making a dual-system shurflo--maybe I'll pursue that!