Sign in to follow this  
Ethan

Advertising and getting your name out there.

Question

I had a question for the VETERANS out there. I have been doing exterior wood restoration (staining/sealing/cleaning/repairs) for about 6 months now. What is the absolute best way to advertise for this business? What did you all do 6 months into the start of your business (PLEASE DON'T SAY...STARVE) :) I use internet marketing and direct mail ads. The direct mail ads are not really that cost effective and the inetrnet marketing just isn't enough. Thanks!!

Ethan

6 answers to this question

Initially, internet marketing is basically worthless. In our field you should target market. When you say direct mail ads are not cost effective, do you mean they are not in your budget or you didn't see the right type of return on them? They are very cost effective in my area. I can send out 500 postcards for about $350 and get back $7500+ in gross contracts.

This also sems to be area dependant but I also got good results from a phone book ad. Something small, using the right wording to catch people's eye works fine. Most phone books will bill you monthly so that's pretty cheap too.

For me, the best of all worlds is direct mail with magnets. It's expensive but it's like the gift that never stops givin'. I get cals all season long.

Hope this helps.

Look around in different local mags, coupon mailers, newspapers with contractor listings, Coupon mags. These work really well when you find ones that have a number of other contractors advertising in them. Jump in the pool is what works and then as you can afford, go to other mediums for targeting a market.

We placed an ad in a coupon mag called "The Clipper" which brought us a bit of business. We started using coupon mailers for test marketing and then put an ad in a newspaper that frequents contractors.

We now only advertise in The Clipper and the rest is direct mail to our previous clients for maintenance scheduling. Keep a thorough database of all your contact information obtained during any ad campaign including tracking of where they heard about you. This helps to know where your best ad $$$ are being spent.

Rod!~

Different things work in different areas. Cost is also different for certain things, so don't go thinking I'm a big spender. Things that have worked well for me:Yellow pages under cabin staining, sob blasting, painting contractors. This is a gradual build type of thing, not a lot right away. Stay in it for the long term. Billboard- sound expensive, but not in my area. This pulled quick with lots of response from when it went up in June, to end of Oct, and haven't got a call since. It will pick back up the end of March, and I'll be slammed thru the year.Letter your truck and/or trailer. Great value, pulls all year long, lasts for years, not really very expensive if you amortize it over a year. Make sure the contact number is the largest thing, then what you do next. Try to combine them if possible like 678-PAINT or 546 DECK or something. The less you have on the truck, the easier it is to read, so be careful not to overdo it. Less than 6 words max on truck or billboard, rule of thumb.

Ethan,If you want to get your name out try talking to deck builders and offer a referral fee cause you know everybody loves free $$$.Like Jon said NETWORKING is your best bet!

Look into going to "Home Shows" and set up a booth with some displays of your work.Set up some sections of decks,fences with a b4 and after look.

We haven't had to advertise in years but we also have the luxury of repeat buisness and referrals after 15 years of buisness.

Networking with a deck builder has proven very profitable for us - he gives us the "real skinny" on what he's building, he knows our pricing and builds the stain work into his price.....haven't had to chase a homeowner for payment either :) Also, since we're in with several custom home builders, it gives us an opportunity to refer his services in return. It's a beautiful thing :) Our local homebuilders association and BNI's are also a realtively inexpensive way to network with your local professionals.

We're exploring the homeshow thing for '07 - Roger's sister works for a company that makes those booths so we'll get some break there I hope :)

Celeste