Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

How to paying off

I wrote a thread about how to get to prop. managers. I want to share whats been going on with that targeting. I like to tell about my successes with this because it may help others, plus I get excited when it works and I just want to tell someone:banana: :banana:

The couple letters I put up as examples in the other thread actually look like they might be paying off and in one case paying off big time over time.

I worked for 1 prop mang. co, last year on one project in the spring and hadnt got any other jobs. So I kept writing & faxing. The I checked their websight a few months ago and the Prop manager no longer worked for them , so I started targeting the 2 new Prop Managers. Well I got a call last week for a job, not huge but it was a start. It was a couple brick entrance walls & signs, then they added a clubhouse, a quick clean of a gazebo & a small security building. I asked this new PM how she heard about us. She said she got my fliers, letters and newsletter and the other PM also told her about my letters. THE TARGETING WORKS!!!! They had a guy that did alot of their pressure washing, but he has become unreliable and she also told me his prices went way up. For just the 2 walls he wanted $800, well i bid them as a package deal and my figure on the walls was $440, they took just over 2 hours to do, from set up & break down. Well we did the work Wed. and the PM came to the job 2 times to see how it was going. I had the chance to talk with the PM, I told her what we had to offer and I told her I wanted all their work. It was a real good conversation. The PM asked me to go look at another property entrance walls and I also got that job. Well the PM called yesterday and asked for a price on 24 buildings, that the other guy does annually. We'll see how that goes!!!!! Letters faxes WORKING

Now the other letter I posted. Looks like its really may pay off BIG TIME. Ive done many jobs over the past few years, Actually the 1st complex I ever did was for this PM company along with others like the parking garage I just did a few weeks ago and I just picked up another 93K parking garage for them. I got a call from the director of operations for this PM company, real nice guy that Ive dealt with before. He asked me to come in and talk with him. I Talked to him yesterday and the owner of the PM company.

They wanted to ask me if I wanted to go on their Preferred Contractor Program. Now let me tell you about this company 1st. They are the single largest PM company in the Myrtle Beach area for condo towers and condo units, they do some other properties, but they specialize in oceanfront towers and other condos for HOA's, investment companies and builders. They mang the properties on alot of rehabs of hotels that are converting to condos and new construction properties along the beach. Theres a building boom now on Condos & towers on the beach that you wouldnt believe, tearing down old & putting up new and this company is in the middle of it all.

Ive always had a good working relationship with this company, but I also kept targetting them. I always send the letters, faxes etc. and would call often!

My letters would always target the the preventive maint. angle and how I would like all their work.

Their Preferred Contractor Program is a selling tool for them that works. They offer it to present HOA;s builders etc, but this is a selling tool for them when going after new properties. They have banks that give them better rates because of the volume of customers they have and many different types of contractors that are on the program and now because of our always good work they want to add us to the program.

It goes something like this. They dont want anything like a percentage from the Preferred contractor. They offer to HOA's & others a list of contractors & busnesses that offer services they will need. If the properties want the services, they sign a 2 to 3 year contract for the services. Now not all the properties want all the srvices offered, but many do and the others use the contractors as needed. I know quite often the HOA's will go buy the PM's recomendation

In my case for PWing they are going to give me a list of ALL their properties and they want me to work up proposals to clean all the properties. Now this alone is going to be a time consuming process for me, but the pay off could be and Im sure will be huge. I have to look at all properies and tell them what needs cleaning and recomend a time table/schedule to do the work, They want it all written up seperately and as a package deal. So I have to write it up seperatly , say the building so much$$$, sidewalks $$$, parking garage $$$ pool areas$$$ clubhouses$$$ decks & fences$$$ etc etc etc. Now the HOA etc can choose what they need the most or the total package. They want me to recomend when these surfaces should be cleaned and putit on a schedule to do the work. This all is mind boggling to me because they manage 100's o f properties. Now on may of the properties like the High rise condo towers not much will be needed to be cleaned. The High rises/buildings may never be cleaned or partial cleaning of only areas tha need to be cleaned, but I would get say the walkways or parking lots, pool areas etc. etc. On multi building complexes say 2, 3, 4 stories I would get more of the buildings and all the other surfaces. Now these oceanfront properties are high dollar, your talking 200K up to 2 million +$$$ for 1 condounit. As they told me thesepeople that own or invest need to keep their investments maintained.

As it was explained to me. This is one of their major selling points to HOA's. They tell the HOA's you get the best contractors , the best rates tc etc They want to offer more than any otherPM company can offer, I guess this is why they are the largest.

While I was meeting with the Director of Ops The owner of this PM company came in and told me they get all my letters etc and the positive feed back they get from the properties Ive cleaned is why THEY WANT MY COMPANY on their list. I gave her an overview of what we can offer. I explained how very important PWing is to a property. Told them both that the preventive maint. will save money, I told the a clean prop is a property everyone will want to buy & live at, I told them how we can go in and get the work done quick so to reduce the time on a property , which means less hassle for the property.

Im telling you this meeting was fun, exciting and maybe the BIG ONE I've been waiting for. This all will take time, but the pay off in the long run could be great. I meet back with them after my surgery and get the list the end of this month. I'll be traing my Brother in law on how to estimate too, I'll need the help

I might be bragging a little bit on how my targeting has & is working, but Im proud of my efforts and i wanted to share this with you folks. I've been having my wife pat me on the back all night LOL. Its funny the 2 letters I posted on the other thread are the 2 companies that called this week.

Im lucky this area is a condo capital.

If your thinking how can you get more work i hope this helps, WRITE, FAX, CALL over & over again. SELL, SELL, SELL:lgmoneyey . Just dont target one company target them ALL !!!!!

Got to love my long post SORRYYYYY

JL

Congrats Jeff! You should be proud of yourself. Just make sure that in the heat of all of this, and all the support that this pm co. is feeding you, your prices don't drop. Just because you now have a 100 property worth of sidewalks to do it doesn't mean that 0.02/sqft is an acceptable rate. You still need to feed the family.

Good luck with the surgery, the recovery and then tackling this monster of a task.

WAY TO GO!

Congrats Jeff! You should be proud of yourself. Just make sure that in the heat of all of this, and all the support that this pm co. is feeding you, your prices don't drop. Just because you now have a 100 property worth of sidewalks to do it doesn't mean that 0.02/sqft is an acceptable rate. You still need to feed the family.

Good luck with the surgery, the recovery and then tackling this monster of a task.

WAY TO GO!

Thanks it will be a monster of a task, as far as rates I will charge, I already know my rates will basically stay the same which are fair rates for me or any property. The way a property can save is to do the Total Package, then I 'll show them some kind of discount. Im looking at this a one property at a time, which it is

Thanks again

Jeff,

Congratulations on your hard work! Your efforts look like they're paying off. It's miraculous in this business how a little effort can go so far. I've experienced similar results here in the Desert and I'm really happy for your success. Keep up the good work!

Jeff,

Congratulations on your hard work! Your efforts look like they're paying off. It's miraculous in this business how a little effort can go so far. I've experienced similar results here in the Desert and I'm really happy for your success. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Celeste & Craig. I think this going to be a WILD year and your right a little hard work & prep can pay off.

Hey Craig whats your market there, what kind of work do you do most?

Jeff,

A low side budget house out here runs $325K. That would give you about a 1200 square foot fixer. Most houses we do run in the 4-800K, and we have several accounts which have low side houses starting in the 1.5 Million mark. My market is 20% residential and 20% Commercial and 60% New Construction. We do a lot of condos, HOA's etc. for building washing, driveway/garage/entryway cleaning and brick restoration.

This month I'm really focusing on getting a night crew put together to run routes for fast food chains and restaurant drive thrus. Like I said in the earlier post, it doesn't take much work. If you make 500 calls you're likely to get about 8K in repeat business (or more).

We have several accounts here with new construction and have contracts to do all of their houses. All together they have around 5000 homes going up in the next 4 years. We do the driveways, walk, entry, garages and parts of the house itself.

Personally for PW'ing I like to have my guys do house and building washing.

Our coating business is almost 100% residential right now. It looks like that's going to change though... I was keeping it a secret from our builders because I needed to catch up with the PW'ing stuff. They caught wind of it booked 3 jobs with more to come. They heard of it last monday. Looks like it's time to get it in gear again!