Sign in to follow this  
jgoral76

hot vs. cold

Question

while reading some forums i ask myself why is there so much hype in the hot water unit? i know the basics but are there other advantages and man they are;nt cheap. what do you all say to the new guy who does'nt have that base to get one YET. i here people say cold water units are crap, why?

7 answers to this question

It depends upon the work you choose to do. The only categories of washing that I think HW are neccessary are kitchen exhaust cleaning and concrete work. If you do decks and housewashing and a small amount of residential concrete you do not need HW initially. You can always add a hot box later.

what is a hot box? i do only a few commerical jobs of concrete, mainly dealship porches. if i use more chem with cold water is that ok or am i need ing to upgrade.

Cold water units can clean really well. The difference is that cold water does not work as well as hot. Higher water temperature increases the waters solvent capabilities. In addition, chemicals mix easier and more effectively in warm water when compared to cold. Hot water will also holds more chemicals in solution because of molecular expansion.

Cold water units are less expensive and more portable. Hot or cold each have their purposes and abilities and should be considered in relation to the majority of work you will be doing. Being up north having hot water at your disposal increases the range of work you can do during colder months while a cold water unit would not be reasonable.

Anyone else have any thoughts to add?

Rod!~

The price varies according to mfr but they come with a gas engine to run either a generator for a 12v burner or a diesel fueled burner. 2 tanks to fill. in this case. At last I priced them a few years back before going with a complete hot water skid was around $1200 + shipping and taxes. Shop around or check in the TGS bargain basement to see if anyone has one for sale. Ebay might be another good place to look.

Rod!~

Hot boxes are also available as propane fired. The control mechanism is much like a hot water tank in your house. They are conveniant because there is no need for a generator, blower, or even ducting for that matter.

Two 20# tanks in parallel, or a larger single tank work well for occasional use.

I personally don't feel a hot box would be the best choice for everyday commercial use.