Sign in to follow this  
jgoral76

aluminum siding

Question

My fathers home has yellow siding very dull with black looking spores he asked if i could wash it, sure i can. my ?.

1.. what chem is best using cold water.

2..will it need a repaint or will the cleaning do the trick.

3..is there a chance of stipping it, <does not want if can help>

4.. any suggestions will help have until may to do.

5 answers to this question

2 step method using an acid and a caustic based cleaner/detergent will help. You may need to do some brushing but it will look pretty good depending upon the the extent of the oxidation.

Apply the acid 1st to one side then before it can dry (watch the windows and keep them wet) apply the detergent over the acid. The action of neutralization creates an agitation that helps to release the majority of the oxidized paint. After this rinse. If the spores still remain, apply more detergent with chlorine bleach (do not allow acid in the mix) wait for the spores to change color from black to brown then rinse.

Call if you need any further help

Rod!~

Beth, what "acid" are you using in this process? As stated in other posts, I intend on relocating back to Indiana from Georgia and there is a lot more Aluminum sided home compared to vynil as in GA. I know that, depending on the siding color you can actually change the color of the surface just by using hot water and pressure. What would be the best process for cleaning aluminum siding?