Sign in to follow this  
Larry B

50% NaOH

Does anybody know the ratio to dilute 99.9% NaOH beads to make 50% caustic soda liquid? I have tried to find it online but only came up with a formula to dilute a liquid percentage as high as 80% to whatever percent a person wanted but nothing for diluting straight granules.

55 gal water * 8.33#/gal=458.2 #

If you want a 50% solution then

458.2*0.50= 229.1# NaOH ****This will be extemely "exothermic" HOT

Blend very carefully small amounts of NaOH with cold water to keep temps down. I'd start with at least 25 gal water then add NaOH while stiring.

Be sure to where mask/respirator, rubber gloves and well ventilated area

Thanks for the tips. I use this stuff fairly regularly as well as some even more potent stuff. I would not dream of using any of this without the proper PPE.

I was doubting my numbers because I pay $0.11/ pound for 50% in a 700# drum and I paid $.19/pound for 99.9%. I just figured I was saving more $$ than it seems.

Larry,how much 50% do you need per batch of chemical? Is there no way to add it to the blended liquids in the dry state? Let's say you need 30# of 50% per batch...just add 15# of beads at the end. I make chemicals from kits, the SH is always dry and goes in last. There's 16# of SH in a truck wash kit = 32# of 50%.

Thanks, that is kind of the angle I was shooting for. Had to figure it for a 55 drum first as my recipe uses gallons of 50% to make the soap. I hate to make errors with this stuff because when I do I have a drum full of crap that doesn't clen well. Fortunately?, I still wash trucks and can use it up myself so my customers always get the good stuff.

That is another reason I am questioning my numbers. By my calculations, assuming 50% is 12#/gal. It will take 50# of 99.9% to make one drum of my soap. Yes it is pretty strong.

A gallon of water weighs about 8 #. A gallon of 50% may weigh 8.5 - 8.75#, so you need about 4 - 4.5# of beads for every gallon of 50% that you would normally use.

When calculating concentration you have to break it down into the components and NOT the combined weight to get the correct final concentration. Otherwise the final concetration will not be as expected.

In the example above: you still only have 8.33# of water per gal of mix you add for 50% by weight of SH. If you were to add additional SH based on the combined weight of the initial mix, the final concentration would be less than expected.

Hope this makes sense!

That makes perfect sense. The drums of 50% I buy weigh 700#'s so that is how I figured the combined weight at 12.7#'s / gallon. I appreciate the help from you guys.

Thanks again

Larry

It can be used to make soap, strippers for wood and the kitchen guys use it for cleaning the hoods and ducts as it can be used for degreasing. I also use it to make bio-diesel.

I also use it to make bio-diesel.

You wouldn't by chance be working in or as part of a co-op in OR would you? I ran into some guys in Klammath Falls, OR who were collecting used oil from restaurants around the area to conver to bio diesel. That'd be a small world if so.

It can be used to make soap, strippers for wood and the kitchen guys use it for cleaning the hoods and ducts as it can be used for degreasing. I also use it to make bio-diesel.

So could it be used as a very cheap soap for gas station cleanups? Degreaser? Is it really dangerous? What precautions would need to be taken.

Jeff Robison

You wouldn't by chance be working in or as part of a co-op in OR would you? I ran into some guys in Klammath Falls, OR who were collecting used oil from restaurants around the area to conver to bio diesel. That'd be a small world if so.
Nope not part of a co-op, I just use it to make the fuel cost a little more bareable. Diesel fuel has jumped back up over $2.70 again and I use about 50 gallons/ week.

So could it be used as a very cheap soap for gas station cleanups? Degreaser? Is it really dangerous? What precautions would need to be taken.

Jeff Robison

It is a strong dangerous powder/beads. There is a lot more to making a soap than just NaOH. It will also cause discoloration on concrete and other surfaces if applied too strong or incorrectly.

In nutshell yes you can use it as degreaser but always use PPE and care when trying anything.

50% is 12#/gal. It will take 50#

Are you fellows talking about adding 12lbs of NAOH to each gallon of water to make a 50% solution. I thought 8 cups (4 lbs) was too much. How much bead can you put into water before it stops dissolving?

Seems to me that making a small batch, then testing it somewhere discreetly would be a good thing. I'd tend to lean towards starting off a little weak, then adding more beads to get the desired effect.

Are you fellows talking about adding 12lbs of NAOH to each gallon of water to make a 50% solution. I thought 8 cups (4 lbs) was too much. How much bead can you put into water before it stops dissolving?

The solubility of NaOH in water is about 1:1 (by weight).

BUT there are safety precausions. I think I mentioned several above. Dont expect to just drop 12# of beads into 1.5 gal of water without a violent reaction and heat