Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Privacy on the Internet

Question

Is there such a thing?

NOTICE: We collect personal information on this site.

Do you ever read the small print on the bottem of web pages. I've been noticing more and more of this on sites like yahoo, google and other sites lately. It seems like you cant go anywhere on the internet anymore without a server taking personal information from your computer and doing who knows what with it.

38 answers to this question

What do you guys use all that power for? I have a 3.2 GHz with 3GB DDR (useless until I upgrade to 64bit) and 256 MB vid card, but I use it for some pretty beefy applications....3D CAD programs for complex design work and also for fluid dynamics analysis....what the hell are you running on these monsters????

I gotta know.....

What do you guys use all that power for? I have a 3.2 GHz with 3GB DDR (useless until I upgrade to 64bit) and 256 MB vid card, but I use it for some pretty beefy applications....3D CAD programs for complex design work and also for fluid dynamics analysis....what the hell are you running on these monsters????

I gotta know.....

Ryan,right now i've only been playing games like Fear"best first person shooter game"

The graphics are unbelievable on that game!

I wanted to build an gaming machine and i'm like mosy guys... I JUST LOVE POWER the faster the better!

I gotta know.....

I use mine for 3d CAD programs for complex design work, and also for fluid dynamics analysis.

Actually, no. What I'm using it for takes even more power than you need for 3d CAD programs for complex design work, and also for fluid dynamics analysis.....

I use it to play things like Call of Duty 2 and Need For Speed Most Wanted, and other games at maximum resolution and detail level. :)

I also want to be able to do so for at least the next year or two, before games become so resource hungry that I have to start lowering the graphics resolution and detail levels.

I'm also using it's vast computing ability to try to figure out how to work in the word "heuristics" into this thread..... :rolleyes:

Had I really wanted a powerhouse, I'd have gotten the 840 extreme edition processor and installed the full 4GB of DDR2 memory. :)

Hey Mike did i mention i'm running my Sony 42" LCD Hi def t.v as a dual monitor.. :D

I have it ran on a DVI-HDMI cable...

Boy we sure are hijacking Mike's thread about security threats....Sorry Mike and for the Colts losing it's gonna be a long winter in Indy...;)

another program that comes highly recomended

ewido anti malware.you install it and it stops any program from changing your reg...it runs in the backgroud...and auto updates itself....downside is you have to pay for it.

it has already stopped 2 progs from trying too set them selfes up!!...all my other guards missed them trying to do this.......this is recomended by all the top geeks,,,,im into p2p and tend to come across more of these type of progs than most people.

another program that comes highly recomended

ewido anti malware.you install it and it stops any program from changing your reg...it runs in the backgroud...and auto updates itself....downside is you have to pay for it.

it has already stopped 2 progs from trying too set them selfes up!!...all my other guards missed them trying to do this.......this is recomended by all the top geeks,,,,im into p2p and tend to come across more of these type of progs than most people.

Hey Paul what program are you using for p2p?

Have you ever used Ares?

I know there are settings that you can change that aren't easily found without a third party program, or with Microsoft's Tweak UI program.

As far as other things in Windows, I don't know, other than the hidden files that IE uses, which is another reason I won't use IE.

Most games have cheat codes that will bring out hidden features in the game.

Not talking about game cheating or changing the program in anyway here, just wish I knew the word I am talking about but the people that build the programs, programers put cute things into the CD (disk) that are hidden and easy for some to find if they know the codes. I know their names are all there but they add cute things too.

Anyone know what I am talking about here?

Never had any problems with MS Outlook but keep saying I should try Mozilla, my son has it and says it is fast and better then IE, someday, that old saying SOMEDAY I will try it.

Not into gaming and we all know hackers love MS, I doubt MS will ever be able to make a truly safe system, they are just to BIG.

But how do we access those easter eggs?

Well, that's the kicker, isn't it? Usually there is no documentation on them and you find them by accident. You can do a google search for "easter egg" and the product of choice. Like "Easter Egg" AND "Microsoft" to find ones others have written about. Others you find by chance. I was playing around with my Duke Nukem game (pre-Quake first person shooter) and had it in hatch mode (you can move freely in X,Y and Z directions, through walls, etc.). I found a cavern on top of a cliff (couldn't reach it by other means) and a designer had written "You Shouldn't Be Here" on the wall.

They will also put them in some DVDs (hit Enter during various scenes and alternate scenes become available).