Sign in to follow this  
Dale

Timbersil

Question

12 answers to this question

I think it would be okay for deck structure such as posts and joists, stuff that is never intended by a homeonwer to be stained or sealed. Supposedly this stuff can be painted or stained but I cannot understand how something that serves to act as a moisture barrier and serve to increase density would allow sealer to penetrate. I am assuming they mean some type of solid stain?

I've done as much research as I care to at this point. If someone wants to send me samples of product I'll be happy to add it to my 15 or so projects out back and let the world know what my results are.

Thanks Shane..I missed that.

I'm still a bit confused though. The sealmaxx is a coating but the timbersil is a process done to the wood before it hits the lumber yard.

It got great reviews from Popular Science and a top ten award from Greenbuilding.

They probably do mean it can be stainded with a solid stain.. tho they never clarify it.

I wouldn't be suprised if products like this and the new generation composits take over as the materials of choice for outdoor structures like decks etc.....it just makes sense. But wood siding will probably be here for quite a while.

If someone wants to send me samples of product I'll be happy to add it to my 15 or so projects out back and let the world know what my results are.

I feel the same way Ken i just dont' see how you can stain especially an oil base stain on top of the seal deck and that it would even stick.

I'll send ya some product to make 16 projects....:lgsideway

Thanks Shane..I missed that.

I wouldn't be suprised if products like this and the new generation composits take over as the materials of choice for outdoor structures like decks etc.....it just makes sense. But wood siding will probably be here for quite a while.

I agree Dale i wouldn't be suprised to see it in the next generation lumber.Like Ken said it would be even better for the #2 lumber for joist,post etc for strength and durability.

I still don't see it a good product for #1 deck boards where you won't be able to get a penetrating stain to soak in the wood.Not having the ability to apply a oil base pigmented penetrating stain to fight the U/V rays is a bad idea.

The SUN is still the #1 culprit to wood drying out warping,cracking etc.!

Yeah..sounds too good..never rots..non-toxic..looks purrty..whack a piece off an throw'er on the grill..

I emailed them some questions and asked for a sample...we'll see.

Yeah..sounds too good..never rots..non-toxic..looks purrty..whack a piece off an throw'er on the grill..

I'll take mine med.rare please with sauce on the side...:lglolly:

Whatever happened to ol' Seal Max?

Hmmmmm...I don't think it's sweeping the country taking over the sealer market that's for sure..:cool:

I've never seen it here in Texas..