Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Yes or No

I have a neighborhood where Ive done cleaning of common area curbing & sidewalks, then I apply rust remover Oxalic to everything. Tomorrow I'll be doing a walkthrough the entire nieghborhood to set up this service on a contract basis.

Now I will be cleaning concrete once every 12-16 months but they want the Ox applied 3 times a year within a 8-9 month period while their irrigation system is on and just after they shut it down for the year

Now the rust removal 3 times in my opinion is overkill I know I'll only need to do it twice a year. Should I tell them it only needs to be done 2 times or should I do it 3 times and take the money, each applications going to be around $1000 - $1400 and if by chance some areas need it 3 times then I'll do it

I know what I think, what do you think?

Thanks

JL

Do it three times a year or 50, if that's what they want. If I know my car is clean, but I want someone to come out and clean off two pieces of dust do you think they'd argue with me that it's too clean for them to work?

Just my $0.02

IMO, the customer is always right. Even if it doesn't make sense in YOUR mind, do what makes THEM happy. Plus it's more profitable for you!

I would tell them you will do it 3x but after monitoring it may not need it more than 2x/year. This gives them the option and makes you seem even more trustworthy.

One thing I don't want to do is make my services eat up more budget than they would like or expect. I have got accounts that the previous PW'er oversold the maintenance and they found it was costing too much money.

I'm with Larry on this......we've often told clients that what they are requesting is over cleaning and that with our chems & processes, we will save them money and save wear on the substrate as well. Many clients only know what the guy before you told them, which is likely that more is better (since it is/was for them) Jeff, with the reputation that you already have established there, these people aren't going to be surprised that you are offering to do less work, but they'll still be pleased that you're looking out for them :)

Celeste

Thats a tough call. I would probably tell them that they probably only need it done 2x/yr but if they want it done more because they want everything spotless then I'll do what the customer request because what you may consider clean may NOT be clean enough in there eyes.

Its kind of like this customer I have that I Powerwash 2-3 times a year there white house,white fence, white brick,white chairs,white plant holders,white florida room and a few other things on there property. This lady wants everything clean clean clean and she pays me well each time as per request.

IMO she only needs everything cleaned once a year but this is what pleases her..........One of these days I have to take a picture of this lady's house and property..Her Property looks like something out of the Roman days..She's a pretty Italian Lady who likes to walk around barefoot and watch me and my guy clean her property..Where guessing that even though she is Sophia Loren pretty(She's aprox 45 yrs old) we figure because she is such a clean freak she drives every guy right out of her life because there's no way this Lady should be single.

I am also with Larry and Celeste. I have had several clients say they think they need cleaning XX number of times and after we get into it they really on needed it X number. I leave it open for them with a mention of what you think. You can evaluate it during the year and ask/report what you think to them.

They get what they want and have a warm/cozy/fuzzy that you are looking out for them

I suppose that I split the difference ethically. If it's residential I'll shoot straight with them and let it be known if I think it's not necessary. If it's commercial, it's open season. I have a $21,000 tile roof cleaning contract coming up for another apartment complex. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have them cleaned for another year as they're not that bad.....But who am I to decide how and when they spend their money? Lucrative commercial contracts are hard to come by and everyone has their own view as to what's considered necessary on any given property.

Just my .02

I understand where you are coming from on that Don. I don't have any contracta that large, but even s few that I do have, I had mentioned to them about they may not need "everything" cleaned each and every time. We pretty much agreed that I had worked hard to get it to that point and didn't want it to fall backwards like the previous vendor had done.

It is eaiser to keep it clean sometimes than it is getting it clean (not sure if that really makes sense!!!)