Sign in to follow this  
CCHSNC

Dealing with Contractors and Prop. managers

Question

I've been doing quit a bit of marketing lately and this are starting to pay off. I could use some advise from you seasoned pro's.

1. I've hooked up with a company that builds high dollar playsets and fences. They're looking to have someone to recomend for cleaning, sealing, etc. All the playsets are made with red cedar and start at $1000.00. Does anyone know the best way to price these things? And how much of a price break should I give these people if I act as a sub? He also asked if I was willing to give him a kick back...I said lets see how things go then we'll talk #'s.

So I know what I need to make per hour for it to be worth my time but I don't want to sell my self short either if there is some decent money to be made.

2. I also have 8 local deck and fence builders that are interested in my services, some through them and others direct to the customer. I really want to get in with atleast 4 of them what kind of price break should I give? 10% or 20%? Most of the work will be in communities that are $250k and up. When I was in the glass industry I would give a 15% price break when going through other contractors.

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Play sets I bid by the hour, 50.00 per hour, you need to do one and then see how long it will take you. Charge by the hour and then add on the price of sealer.

Reed

Try washing one and then you will have an idea how long it takes you to do the job. Asking others for pricing is generally not a good idea because of several factors including regional differences, skill level, procedure, equipment used, quality of work, financial situation, etc, etc, etc.

Only you know your status in relation to these factors, and only you know what you need to charge to make money and be competitive in your market.

as far as price breaks go - thats up to you. I dont give any breaks as such, but are more willing to work for less depending on how much and what type of work I get out of a contractor. I just give them my price per job. If you are getting work based on price alone, then they are gonna suck you dry, and then ask for their discount.

Playsets are a pain in the butt. I will only do them if asked, which is not too often.

I worry about the liability of chems, stains etc, on items that children play with. We all know how ofter kids wash their hands, right?

There are usually too many ropes, tarps, slides, chains, etc, that have to be protected throughout the restoration process.

BigPete, I know I can't base my pricing off of someone elses I was just trying to get a feel for what it's worth so I don't cut myself short.

My 2 cents: It's all about price until they see how good you are.

All very good points.. Thanks for all the input.

If it takes you 12 hrs and someone tells you do it for 250 dollars then you will go broke.

If someone tells you do it for $75/hr and it takes you 12 hrs. then you will never get another job from the customer.

If someone tells you do it for $75/hr and it takes you less than an hour then you will go broke.

If someone tells you $250 and it takes you less than an hour you will never work for them again.

You know how efficient and productive you are and how much money you need to make to be profitable, only you.

do ya get it?

until you do one for yourself you will never know if you are cutting yourself short. If it is all about the price then call a bunch of local contractors and get their price - then lowball them. Myself, I like to work for the amount I need to make a nice profit, not for the amount I read about on the internet.

set a price for the play-set builder's and let them do the selling.

No going to do an est. You know the time and material's. You have a good shot at up-selling more service's.

Offer a incentive program to the play-set co.

Dont under est these thing's, they are tuff to do and your going to get a lot of people asking about splinter's and repair work to splintered wood and hardware. All most everyone will want a new canopy if they have them.

Whatever you charge for a house wash,plus sealer is what i would charge. Maybe even a bit more because you either need a sealer you can apply to wet wood [bio-wash and sealer] or you need to make 2 trip's.

The bio-wash might be a real good angle to get more customer's.

Safety is number 1.

Use citric acid not oxalic acid