Sign in to follow this  
wesley

Growing Your Business

When I say grow your business I don't mean picking a few more customers on the next block. I mean opening up another office outside your normal coverage area. 50 miles, 100 miles or even 200 miles away, the miles are irrelevent but you get the point ( beyond your area). Heres my question. Is now the time to bring on a partner or trust your lead crewman? I know a partner would care much more about the business, especially watching it grow versus a lead crewman just wanting to get paid. I can go on and on but I am going to step aside and listen to your thoughts and opinions. I hope to hear back from others who do this now and those who have done it in the past. All opinions welcome.

I guess my first question to you would be, "are you at the point now where it is necessary?" Meaning, are you at multiple crews in your area, and milked it for all it is worth at the price scale with which you want to stay?

I don't know where Martinez is, but if it is a smaller area it may not take multiple crews. Regarding partners, I don't like that idea for this biz, imo. But if you do, my grandfather always told me that if you ever get partners, make sure at the end of the day you still own 51%. Do you have that capable lead man now??

I think the only way to motivate someone in a position like this is through incentives. You'll have to determine those. And remember, there are "good" people out there, though hard to find. Good luck, keep us in the loop of your ups and downs,

jon

I am 100% with Jon. Before I would even consider expanding any further I would have to be maxed out in an area. Complete market saturation, maximum profit margins. I won't get into the negatives of partnerships on here but I am not a fan of them.

Jon, I respectfully disagree about (monetary) incentives. I think people are self motivated from within, and then only expect to be rewarded for waht they are already motivated to do oon their own. Are we saying the same thing? The reason I bring this up is that I've tried to motivate with money and it just cost me money. On the other hand, I've hired some at very low wages, they stayed motivated, but thru my own stupidity or rigidity, I let them get away instead of not rewarding them properly. Sorry for the thread hijack, Wesley. I would not take on a partner to grow geographically, I think I would franchise out or lease the business, to limit my exposure in the branch that I was not present at.

Hey guys thanks for the responses so far. When I say open up another shop, I am simply talking about trying to grab a piece of the market beyond your normal area. I didnt mean for it to sound like I was looking for retail space or a building to lease. John T. had a post a while back about looking for commercial work beyond your normal area, this is basically the same type question. Unfortunate for me beyond normal area means 60 miles or better. That got me to thinking, would another me (partner) in another market be good or bad?

okay, I'm a little more confused now. *just re-read and think I understand better.

Are you asking if company/branch 'B' would have a negative impact on the profitability of company/branch 'A'??