Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Ball Valves

Recently I found a use for those high pressure ball valves. However after a short time, they start to bind up and become difficult to open and close. A friend of mine introduced me to some high temp lubricant and in just a few minutes, they work like new again.

They need to be taken apart to apply the lube, so unless you have "Hands of Kong" to hold this thing, you will need a vise.

I always hear people saying they get hard to open and close, but no remedy for making them easy again. So is everybody throwing them away or what?

I too would like to know what lube you are talking about. By the way, I added a small vise (from Wal-Mart - $20) onto the fender on my trailer. It comes in handy from time-to-time.

I have a real heavy ball valve with a black handle. It is working well so far. What specific lube did you use?

Sounds like one that I got from Pressure tek, which is by far the best one I've ever used. The only problem I've had with mine is the cap on the knob came off and the screw that holds it on tends to come loss every once and a while.

Recently I found a use for those high pressure ball valves. However after a short time, they start to bind up and become difficult to open and close. A friend of mine introduced me to some high temp lubricant and in just a few minutes, they work like new again.

They need to be taken apart to apply the lube, so unless you have "Hands of Kong" to hold this thing, you will need a vise.

I always hear people saying they get hard to open and close, but no remedy for making them easy again. So is everybody throwing them away or what?

Ive got a ball valves that ive been using for 3 yrs and no grease to ad .The only problem they are $90 .

I have the same issue with my valves. They get so you can't use them or as above the screw would fall out. I used some thread glue to hold the screw in, no problems now, except for tough to turn.

Where did you get the lube?

Sounds like one that I got from Pressure tek, which is by far the best one I've ever used. The only problem I've had with mine is the cap on the knob came off and the screw that holds it on tends to come loss every once and a while.

Mine did as well. I teflon taped it on and it hasn't loosened since.

For a good all purpose PW lube, get T111 at Napa. Requires solvents to remove and melts above 450deg. It's $15/tube but you don't need more than a thin film. I have had the same tube for about 3 years.

I use it on all my QC's and threads and my incidence of freezing/ockup has gone to nearly zero. And yes, you can lube the threads before teflon tape, and it still works fine.

Also works great for hitch ball lube.