Sign in to follow this  
Littlefield

To rinse or not to rinse, neutralizer, that is...

Question

On the ReadySeal site, it says not to rinse the brightener. I've also heard that somewhere else, but can't remember where.

However, I've always rinsed and rinsed well, lest some of the oxalic crystals surface under the stain after I've left, etc.

So, rinse or not?? Sure would save time if I don't have to.

4 answers to this question

Ron, Great reference site. interesting also about buffering and neutralizing.

Just wondering though.... They make a blanket statement that I think might affect this subject. "All sealants are made to go on clean, new wood." Hence, suggesting that the sealant must be applied to a surface that has the exact ph of bare wood.

However, as some products, such as ReadySeal, are obviously designed to be applied primarily by contractors to restored wood, it seems that they may be formulated to be applied to a slightly acidic surface, similar to what is obtained by neutralizing a base with an acid.

As a matter of fact, I've heard that exactly somewhere, just can't remember where.

The part that I was really wondering about is that, although I can understand not neutralizing an acid if the above is true, not even rinsing is much different.

I guess I will get some litmus paper and test on wood what it actually comes to with rinsing, and without.

Correct on the RS. It really likes the wood on the acidic side. I would not do a thorough rinse, if you feel the need to rinse. But having all the brighner dissolved in solution and not really "drowning the wood" keeps the application from showing crystals. You will still see some "white shinny spots" on the knots, just inherent to the knots.

Reed

Ponder THIS....

If you don't rinse you have crystals of acid waiting to be REACTIVATED. So one night there is a little rain. The deck is damp the next day. A small child gets up before mommy and daddy on a Sunday morning and goes outside to play...barefoot. Later the child says..."mommy my feet hurt"

Sorry.... I'm a believer in rinsing. If it happened to my child, I would call a lawyer. Don't but yourself in that place.

Just my .02.

Beth:)