Sign in to follow this  
DustinC

starting a business - newbie needs advice

Question

I recently purchased a decent hot water rig and am gearing up to start a new pressure washing business. I have an account with a small commercial fleet of trucks during my time off from my regular full time job and want to slowly work my way up to becoming an established multi-faceted pressure washing service for homes, drive-thus, etc.

My biggest question is what type of actual business to come, sole proprietorship, LLC, SCORP??? And is this actually a required step?

Anyone have any suggestions on good books to read on the pressure washing business? I know I have a lot to learn. I definitely don't intend to do any work without experience or know how - I have a lot of practice in my near future!

Also, do you need a license to clean oven hoods? Anyone have a good experience with this?

I have been reading this message board and am new to it, and have learned a lot already. I appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks, Dustin

4 answers to this question

Are You Going To Have Employees? Do You Have Any Partners? If You Are Planning To Have Employees Then You Will Need To Obtain Your Federal Employer Id # You Will Also Need A State Tax Id, State Unemployment Tax Id# And Workers Compensation Insurance All Required By Law. If You Are The Only Owner Of Your New Business Then You Can Register As A Sole Propietor

Try The Irs Web Site - Look Under Business

If You Hire Employees I Would Recommend Out Sourcing Your Payroll. I Use A Company Called Paychex They Handle All The Deductions, New Hire Reporting, Tax Filings For State, Federal, Futa And State Unemployment.

ALSO, CHECK OUT THE DELCO CLEANING SYSTEMS WEB SITE THEY ARE A WEALTH OF INFORMATION. YOU SHOULD BE FULLY INSURED AND CERTIFIED BEFORE ATTEMPTING THE KITCHEN EXHAUST CLEANING. GOOD LUCK

Being Incorporated will protect your personal assets and as you grow will help with tax advantages etc.

Best bet is get a good accountant that has knowledge of construction/service trades. Mine also does my payroll, Id be lost without him. Theres just to much for a novice to know when it comes to accounting

I'm an S Corp it fits well for our type of biz

Good luck its a great biz!!

JL